Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scared of what will happen

sfgibsonssfgibson Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Matters of the Heart
hi - im 25 and have been dealing with constant severe back pain.im a single mother with a 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old.i just had a mri of my lumbar spine yesterday as the pain meds mt dr gave me werent even touching the pain at all.
the mri results indicated:
L4-5 - broad-based disc bulge and facet hypertrophy mildly narrow the lateral recesses. there is moderate foraminal stenosis.
L5-S1 - Broad-based disc bulge and facet hypertrophy without signifigent narrowing of the central canal. there is moderate right and mild left foraminal stenosis.
there is a schorls node inferior endplate of L5.
Multilevel spondylosis resulting in moderate foraminal stenosis on the left of L4-5 and on the right at L5-S1 with milder degenerative changes present at other levels as described above.
there is moderate dessication and loss of disc space height at L5-S1 and mild at L4-5. mild loss of disc space height is also noted at T12-L1.

my dr has reffered me to a neurosurgeon - im scared that all this means something very serious. im in so much pain i cant play with my children anymore - everyday just seems like the same pain clouded disaster as the day before...i have the added mental stress of getting laid off from my job in a weeks time.i dont know how to deal with this...im scared my boyfriend is going to leave me since i can no longer be what he wants and needs.he is the only father my children have ever known and this is breaking my heart. he - being perfectly healthy has no idea how bad it hurts and i can see the relief in his eyes everytime he sees me that it isnt him.i feel like i cant tell him how badly i need him and his support right now - for the most part - i try to keep everything inside and try not to let on how much pain im in but its hard when you are just sitting watching a movie and it hurts so bad your crying. the dr wont give me any pain meds till i see the neurosurgeon - i hope to god thats soon...
does anyone have any advice? im lost in the proverbial woods and have no idea how to find my way out.

• Welcome, you found a great place to find info and support. Pain has two sides - the physical and the emotional. The neurologist can help you with the physical but you need family and friends to help with the emotional.

Get to the neurologist as soon as you can because he will be able to get you pain relief. There are many options like injections that can do more than just pills. He will also tell you in there are surgery options.

As far as the boyfriend, that sounds hard. If you look around you will find that most of the members have had problems with their spouses or significant others understanding or coping with our pain. Any chance you can get him to go with you to the neurologist? That helped me alot. Until I did that my husband couldnt understand that my pain was real.

Read around on the site. You didn't mention how your pain started. I know you find lots of support here.

• You have found a great site for information and support. :D

Members here understand the pain that you are experiencing and various other problems that invariably go hand in hand with it.

The fact that you have been referred to a neurosurgeon might seem scarey, but he may offer other treatments other than surgery. In order to be able to get back to your old life, you need to see the right doctors.

I hope that your pain will be able to be controlled very soon and that the neurosurgeon will have ideas to help you.

Glad that you found us, and we will be here to support you through this. :H

• you need to get your boyfriend to go with you to your next appt. my wife didn't really understand what was going on until i made her go with me and the doc told me that surgery was an option now she understands how serious it is.

if the neurosurgeon suggest surgery really think hard about it and discuss it with your bf, it might be just what you need but it comes with risks.
  • thank you for your input everyone...my pain didnt start because of a injury per se - it started about 6 yrs ago sporadicly and relatively mild - its in the last couple of years it has just been getting progressively worse and worse - then it became a constant about 3 weeks ago - everyday it just seems to get worse.
    i tried inviting my bf to go with me to the neurosurgeon but he declined because he has to work and cant afford to take the time off to go with me.

• Apart from the medical help you will get from seeing the neurosurgeon, you are going to need emotional support. Sounds like your boyfriend is yet to understand how hard this is for you - hopefully he'll get there. :-)

In the meantime, you have lots of people here, who will support you through this. You don't have to go through this on your own. :D

• Hello and welcome to Spine-Health. Like all the others have said, this is a place to find the support and understanding you need at a time like this.

Jelly is right - you might not need surgery. There are many conservative measures that can be tried for relief so you might get help without the need for surgery. But all you can really do is wait until you see the neuro doc because we aren't able or knowledgeable enough to interpret MRIs here.

This quote from your initial post:
    i can see the relief in his eyes everytime he sees me that it isnt him.
    This tells me that maybe he does understand. I don't know how long you have been together with your boyfriend, but my husband had known me as a vivacious, active, happy person until I started having my cervical problems. He doesn't know the pain I have, but he understands that something is not right because I'm no longer the person I was before all my spine problems started. So knowing that, he knows that what's happening to me is very real and he's very supportive, helpful and caring.

I'd suggest you have that talk with your boyfriend about your pain and what is going on. I've had that talk with my husband and he understands as much as he's able to, and is always there to help and support me.

I wish you luck with your appointment and the situation with your boyfriend. If you believe in him, he might just believe in you too. I think it's imperative that you're up front with what's happening and that you need his support. If you know he'll be there for you then the stress of that situation will be settled and you can concentrate on dealing with your spine problems.

Please keep us posted, ok?
  • don't despair. things may look overwhelming right now but that will change.. :D face your problems one at a time and go from there! the best of luck to you and remember to stop by anytime you feel like you want to chat! Jenny :)
  • Hi! Sorry you're having such pain, hopefully your appt will start you off in the direction you need to go to get things taken care of.

As far as your boyfriend is concerned, if you are sure that it is because of work issues and pay loss, you might want to call the doctors office to see if they could get you in at a time when your boyfriend Can attend. While it seems that doctors now keep banker hours... some still do have weekend and/or evening appts. if you ask.

Good luck! If you cannot get him to go with you, maybe a family member? I've found it really helps to have someone there... not only to hear what is going on with your back and remind you of what the doctor said... but also to help you explain things to the doctor. My sister in law goes with me to my knee doc appts. and I find it helps quite a bit.
  • thank you everyone for your help...your right - i am incredibly overwhelmed - this is one of those things that not so gently reminds how very mortal we are.my bf and i have been together about a yr and are very close - i think that along with the missing work thing tho that he is - to a certain extent - also scared to hear what they will say. he is trying harder to support me - we had a long talk about it and i let him now how much i need his strenth and steadiness during this time - this he understood and is trying very hard to help me keep my chin up so to speak. i am very thankful for that and for him...
    the neurosurgeon im being referred to wont be able to see me until the 16th of august - its quite a wait. the pain since then has stayed the same only i have started developing tingling and numbness and some pain in my legs. i let my regular dr know this and she is starting me on physical therapy tomorrow morning - im really hoping this will help with the pain and hopefully the healing process. im trying to figure out how all this is going to work - its hard tho - i was quite upset when i was told i have to wait so long till i see the neuro as i am still kinda unsure as to what exactly all these different things actually mean for my back.
    i am very glad i found this community - it helps so much to be able to talk to ppl who have gone/going thru similar things
  • stgibson that you are suffering so. I know that my son had more pain when he was stressed and your job loss I'm sure is really stressing you out.

A couple of things that might help while you wait for your neuro appointment. Have you tried heat or ice? What about a tens unit? My son swears by his tens unit.

You might also see if you can find a pain management doctor. No doubt your GP will have to give you a referral but PM docs are a definite plus. Check them out first though as some only give non-drug pain management.

Be careful with the PT. If it starts to really hurt you stop! You could possibly do more damage.

Most Chronic pain patients suffer from depression also so if you can see someone about that too it will help you deal with your life.

I'm glad your boyfriend is stepping up to the plate. It is a very difficult thing to live with someone in pain every day. Some can handle it and some can't. Best to find out now rather than later.

I really hope you can get the help you need soon and can get back to living your life and playing with your children again. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Gentle hugs to you.