Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain in neck and back, should I have it?

Blee2533BBlee2533 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
This will be my first post. I have had pain in my neck and back that radiates to other areas since 2006. I used to go hiking work 12-16 hours a day, I always had energy and the only pain besides the occasional back ache was due to migraines. I was thrown off a ladder from about 10 feet up landed on the cement foundation corner ( right on my tail bone ), right after that a 18 ft. 2x6 from about 20 feet up was dropped on my head from a co-worker that was on his cell phone on top of the roof we were working on. Here are my MRI results-
MRI L-spine WO cont. 11/06/2008
1. Minimal DDD at L4-5 and L5-S1 with 3mm posterior central broad based disc protrusion at these two levels without causing spinal canal compromise.
2. Mild degenerative facet joint hypertrophy in the lumbar spine causing mild neural foraminal compromise at L4-5.
3. No acute fracture or subluxation.
4. Mild increased lumbar lordosis at lumbosacral junction.
MRI C-spine WO cont. 11/03/2008
1. A 3mm focus of high intensity within the cervical cord at the level of C6 suggesting myelomalacia. Contrast MRI or followup is recommended.
MRI C-spine W/WO cont. 1/29/2009
1. Small focus of myelomalacia or syrinx within the cervical cord at C6 likely, which could be related to prior trauma.
I was getting treated for pain and going to a pain clinic back in California. I recently had to move to Oregon. When I started going to doctors here they told me I shouldn't be in pain, or any significant pain to require pain medication. They stopped the pain medication I was taking for over a year DEAD. I went through the hell of withdrawal. I live in a small town and have very limited choice of doctors. I finally found someone willing to help, a little. The person I'm seeing is a P.A. to the doctor who stopped me dead so she can only do so much for me without his repercussions. I had another set of MRI's done recently upon request of a nuero doc. for my neck and head. The MRI of the head is fine they say, for the neck it's about the same except now it's 5mm instead of 6mm or 3mm from the previous ones. The only other new thing on my MRI of the neck was now they saw mild anterior loss of height of the C5 vertebra. I'm sorry for such a long message, but I feel like I'm going crazy I know I hurt but the Docs here are making me feel like it's all in my head. If anyone could comment on their opinions on the matter it would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much for taking time to read all this.

• Hi and welcome to spine health!!

I have very little familiarity with myelomalacia, so as far as specific info about your MRI results I'm not going to be much help.

I did want to say, though, that it is unfortunate that your doctors are using the MRI to tell you how you "should" feel. There are people with horrible things that show up on MRIs that have no pain, and others with normal MRIs that have severe pain. Please don't let this discourage you, and do not let them dismiss this as "all in your head." I don't know if it's possible, but it sounds like switching doctors might be something to consider (although I know you said you don't have much choice in your town)- I have been lucky that even through years of doctors not understanding *why* I was having such severe pain, I was never told that I "shouldn't" be having the pain and my pain was always treated as best it could be and was never questioned even though it took awhile for them to figure it out. I guess I say that just to let you know that there are so many compassionate doctors out there who will take your pain seriously, it's a shame that you are with one who is so insensitive. It might even be worth driving a ways to get better care if that is an option at all...

In the meantime, have you explored the various pain management modalities in addition to meds? I assume the PA at your pain clinic is probably helping you figure out various things to try, but there are a lot of options from TENs units to PT to injections that may be worth a shot. Also, have you consulted a neurologist? Again, I have very little familiarity with myelomalacia, but I am under the impression it would be something a neurologist may be more familiar with than a pain management doctor.

Again, welcome to spine health!
This discussion has been closed.