Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

vacation and SCS

wdwgrannywwdwgranny Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
So hoping that my SCS can be reprogramed and i get back the coverage i had before going on vacation to Disney. I am afraid . My son and his wife and 3 of my grandkids and my hubby are going to Disney. we are flying two hours ouch :)
amd staying on property there. I hav rented a EVC for the trip while we are there,we are Dsiney freaks i admit it :). So i hope i didnt make a big mistake .. my fears are , of course pain , but i will be in pain at home too. another fear is rides wondering how many people have been there and id rides i dont do scary rides never did , but like thunder mt or Dinosaur i wonder if i could do them still?i so want to be normal .. but fear every move i make.i plan on slow pace , we are there 9 days as my son says Mom no need to rush.of course i dont want to ruin their vacation, and plan to leavre parks if i need to and want my family to stay and have fun.whats your thoughts?

• Relax and do the best you can. So far, I have thrown caution to the wind and have been to 2 amusement parks this year. I did the rides, even the roller coasters. Having an SCS just added to the fun. I'm very positional in my coverage and a couple of coasters ended up over stimulating me for a second which just added to the entire experience. Was I able to do the volume of rides I did a couple of years ago. No. I had to take frequent breaks to recharge my batteries. The best part, I didn't have to drive home either time after taking extra medication to manage my discomfort. Was it worth? Yes.

• My wife thought it silly when I told her it saddened me to think I could not ride a roller coaster again. I did not think about this until after my surgery.

I too am a Disney freak! We took our kids a few years ago, before my surgery. I think that was the best holiday we had ever been on, and the kids made it my best Disney trip. I had hoped to take the kids again, but I am saddened to think I will not be riding with them. I do not think I could be on my feet and do that much walking anymore. So I am not as eager to go.

Staying on the property is good for you if you need to go lay down for a while. You can get back to your room quite quickly. This last trip was the first time we stayed in the park. It was so nice to go back to the room and take a nap and go back to the park in the evening. Prior to that trip I was always rushed to take in as much as possible, because when we left we were not coming back until the next day.

I will tell you that I remember Big Thunder Mountain as being a very rough ride. I am sure I could not ride that one again.

I know you will have fun. I really enjoyed watching my kids experience the magic. Like I said I have been to Disney World so many times, but taking my kids was the best visit I had ever had.

Maybe a little jealous. I know you will have a great time!

P.S. Not only do most park resorts and hotels have a spa that offers massages, you can also get an in room massage!
  • I would stay away from.
    Test Track and Rockin roller coaster.

Other wise I just threw caution to the wind. It really depends on how stable you are as to what rides you really need to avoid. I found just the exhilaration of being at Disney, I think that was the 4th time :? Made up for the pain. Adrenalin is quite good at killing some pain. I would feel it in the mornings, but as we got moving things would level out.

I would not recommend doing this but, [SSSHHHHH, don't tell my doctor, "i rode the tower of terror"]

You will have a good time if you let yourself!
  • I have found that my PM doc, surgeon and company rep, are all thrilled that since getting my permanent implant I have returned to do many things I used to and several things I've never done before. Their goal in caring for patients, is not only to help deal with the injury and pain, but also to facilitate their patients getting back into the joy of living. It seems pretty odd to say that going on vacation to Disney is a risky proposition, but it is one that myself and others recognize and applaud. For me it's not Disney, but diving and horse back riding. Is it a risk? Sure. However it is one that I choose to take and the benefits I reap are so very worth it.

Enjoy yourself. I bet you also find that your son is proud of your accomplishment and finds great joy in seeing you laugh and smile and having a good time.

It's ok to be okay. I think many of us lose sight of that after a while of being in pain. Almost as if we feel a loss, if the pain is no longer there. Life is there for us to live and enjoy. We have to make the best of it with what we have.

Personally I like Space Mountain and The Pirates of the Caribbean.

• talked to my rep she reprogrammed me i am back on ahhh... also we talked disney. she said it would take alot to ri or tear, she said go but and do live, but remember its not just your scs to worry about but the pain the rides may cause, heck i have pain just doing the dishes and vacuming is always an adventure i guess i will proceed with cation , but live too thank for all your replies yu guys are the best
  • Hi All, I just read this thread about vacations. I am scheduled for a trip to the Islands. Flying and will be in a nice resort. I had my SCS implanted on
    7/13 and still healing more or less. My trip is in December my companion she already thinks I should persevere so Im wondering if I should even take this trip, we might not be friends when we return. As it is she already want to run the show, getting up real early to eat, she is on insilin, I really don't eat early. But I can see me losing it because she will want to call all the plays not really thinking I may not feel up to it. Should I go or should I wait until next year to travel? SLH
  • Is this your first trip since your SCS? When did you have your SCS implanted was it 08/08? Is this your first real vacation since the implant? I hope that you enjoy Disney I went abt 20 yrs ago I did Space Mountain but I usually don't do roller coasters. Hope you do enjoy your trip. SLH
  • To be honest I'd wait and go next year. It took me a long time to get back up to par after my surgery. I can't imagine if I'd had to deal with airports much less being on vacation. The fact that she thinks you should persevere is kind of coming across as a flashing warning signal to me... I'd be afraid that, if you wanted to rest up one day instead of doing something else or going through with plans, she would try to push you to keep the plans instead. This could be completely false, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

The islands aren't going anywhere. Save the trip for next year, and you'll be feeling a lot better for it.
  • Thanks so much for your reply. I felt the same way concerning the travel all in of itself. To say the least of my travel partner. We have traveled together before so I'm kind of uses to her but with this trip I had just told my daughter that I would feel better if I waited awhile. Thanks again.SLH
  • I'm glad it helped. I do really well with road trips since my surgery, but I don't even want to think about what flying would be like. I have a really rough time flying anyway (MAJOR motion sickness) and I doubt it helps any that my back is aching a bit at the moment.
  • It stinks that you had to pospone your trip, but that's the thing it is just postponed. You want to be able to enjoy yourself to the fullest and not be in pain. Unfortunately we all know too well how it is to do stuff while we're in pain. Take care!
  • I worked for WDW for over 10 years until the standing and walking became too painful. I have ridden ALL the attractions numerous times. Here are my suggestions.
    1. Each day plan 1-2 things that you specifically want to do, see or experience. It might be a certain attraction, seeing the characters (long waits in lines) or a nice dinner or show. Plan around that event. ie. don't plan a day of shopping at Downrown Disney AND a roller coaster on the same day.
    2. Don't try to see everything in that park that day. It is not only alot of walking, moving, etc; it is all on concrete.
    3. Some of the 'big' rides could be easy on your back ie. Tower of Terror or Soarin'. And some 'easy' rides can be really hard due to excessive jerking. ie. Haunted Mansion, Kilamanjaro Safari.
    3. If your back hurts or you are in pain and just need to be vertical for a short while, or to recharge, go to First Aid located in all parks. Unless they are extremely busy, you are able to take a short break, lay in a bed or recliner and regroup(this is for you only not a way for families to take naps)
    4. Try some 'alternative' attrations. Go on a fishing expedition on the Seven Seas Lagoon, floating gently in water in the warm Florida sun on an inner tube in our water parks, or a bonfire & movie at Ft. Wilderness, the options abound. Disney is not just about theme parks.
    5. Ask Guest Services for a 'Guests With Disabilities' handbook to assist you making smart decisions on how to spend you day.
    And lastly, just be cautious that you would have to accept responsibility for any injuries you might incur by going on certain attractions. The signage stating health risks are posted throughout the entrance to those rides.

Remember that magic is made sharing the memories of friends and families gathered and laughing together. There is nothing better for that than a visit to WDW. Have fun!