Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transfacet laminoforaminoplasty

mavbill84mmavbill84 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
A facility that performs various microspinal procedures has recommended to me to have this particular procedure to address a spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 to relieve pressure on the nerve at L5.

Or so they say.

Anyone ever heard of this procedure?

I don't find much about it at all other than a doctor in England developed this procedure.

My guess also is that insurance does not cover something like this.

It sounds much better than a fusion which has also been recommended by another spine institute. The thing that sticks with me about that procedure though is when the surgeon said your first back surgery starts the clock ticking until your next back surgery. The fewer of those the better IMO.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I've not heard of the procedure. One of the big concerns with spondylolisthesis is the inherent instability of that area of the spine that comes along with the diagnosis. Thus fusions are most often used and successful in spondylolisthesis.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• I am in agreement with SpineAZ, and my concern is the stability of your spine after this procedure.
    Perhaps it is maintaining the spine stability which caused this technique to be developed. :-)I have not heard of it before. :?

I have had a fusion on L4/L5 in the UK for spondylolisthesis. I needed a decompression at the same time, and had a complete laminectomy and wide undercutting of the facets to get the pressure off the cord and nerve roots.

Welcome to Spine Health! :D You will find a wealth of spinal information here and lots of friendly and helpful people.
    Maybe, on this occassion, you will be educating us! ;)
    Do let us know how things turn out and what treatment you have.
  • Hi and welcome to Spine-Health.

I've not heard of Transfacet laminoforaminoplasty, so do let us know more if you can.

I had a fusion on L4/5 for spondylolisthesis last year and it has stabilised that part of my spine.

When I asked my surgeon about surgery on L5/S1 at a later date, he said he didn't want to do it, so I'm hoping that I won't need more surgery and can control any pain with core strengthening exercise, walking and rest.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • It can be a minimally-invasive procedure to remove part of the bones pressing on your nerves and other structures.

What type of equipment they plan to use? Minimally-invasive or?
  • has been diagnosed as a grade one and has been at that level for decades now (1985). So I am not sure that is the source of the pain. I do worry about making the spine more unstable with that procedure. It may contribute to the pain but I really think other problems contribute more.

There are other aspects compounding the problem such as almost complete disk degeneration at L5 S1 and something called a pars defect (not sure what that is). There is just a myriad of problems and I am not sure what course would provide any relief.

The fusion thing scares the hell out of me. When the surgeon says it's 50/50 for anywhere from 50 to 70 percent relief those are not good odds at all (reiterated by another back doctor very familiar with my situation as well). Add in the future back surgeries that will occur.

Just not seeing any options here for any kind of relief.

I've had to quit working at a job that required sitting all day and despite taking steps to not sit more than 45 minutes at a time the pain just became too intense.

A recent epidural did little and actually aggravated the leg and foot pain.

What I find interesting is that these flareups that last for months always occur during the summer when it is really hot (90 plus degrees) and humid. In the winter I am far more comfortable to a level where it barely bothers me.

Anyone else notice the same for them?