Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

always something going on...

txmemaw5ttxmemaw5 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
ACDF c5c6 almost a yr ago, with all the hardware, plus a collapsed vertebre repaired...
up until 2 wks ago, had been feeling fairly good, mopped floor one day and bam...the stabbing feeling started again in the upper mid back...off & on constantly...now today it's moved down and to the side some..not right in the middle....haven't called NS...he will just tell me "the vertebre fix takes along time" still healing....
I am really disgusted..have had more hurting since surgery overall than before...it's either ice packs or Icy Hot or Biofreeze along with hydrocodo as needed...
Anyone else gone thru this before..feel like it's just me..regretting having the neck surgery to began with...necks fine now ...the back....thanks for letting me vent..needed to today..take care yall....

• Howdy Tx,

You sort of sound like me! I put off surgery for a little over 2 years when my C5/6 started going. Once it got on my cord, my need for surgery became fairly clear. For almost a year I felt outstanding!! I then a week past a year, did I nice strong stretched out yawn and felt a 'snap/pop' feeling in my neck. My disk had just herniated at my C6/7 level!

Now you didn't describe this, so maybe (hopefully) you are okay, I had instant burning, weakness and numbness. My NS called it "adjacent level failure/disease." MRI confirmed, and 6 weeks later I underwent another fusion. See my history to see the results there. :( I hope you find that you are fine, and maybe stressed a muscle or something. Please let us know what you find out. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • One of the hardest things to hear from my neurosurgeon, was that "spine patients will have flares off and on for the rest of their life". I was in the middle of a nasty flare about 3 months post op when he told me this. Needless to say, I was not too thrilled.

That was 6 years ago and to date, I have only had a handful of flares. Of course they were all brought on by over doing things. One of the worst triggers for me is mopping the floor.

I really am bummed when I read that someone regrets having had a specific surgery. For the most part, surgeons are pretty discriminate when selecting surgical candidates. I know for me, I was in so much pain that I would have agreed to just about any procedure. That's where we have to have trust in our surgeons, that they are making the best decision for us given our condition at the time. Sometimes things don't work out completely like they are supposed to. And sometimes "stuff happens" and we have no control over that. I know that I don't regret making the choice to try and address the problem through surgery. The only guarantee that I've ever asked for from my surgeon is that he do his best to try and correct the problem. That way neither myself nor my surgeon have regrets if things don't turn out in "text book" fashion.

I hope you can make it through this and get back to feeling better. Don't be afraid to contact your doc and ask for help. Sometimes even the simplest things can do wonders for getting rid of the pain.

Sorry to get off on a tangent here. Seriously though, I hope things do get better for you soon.