Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgical Pain-Possible re-herniation

SCtigger7SSCtigger7 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my fourth back surgery on 6/26/10--a discectomy at L5-S1 with removal of a bone spur. Recovery was slow, as expected, but three or four days ago I started having worsening back pain. Today I called my surgeon because it's getting tough to get up and down and to walk. He has ordered an MRI because he thinks I may have reherniated after surgery. Has anyone else ever been through this? I am no newcomer to back problems, but this is testing me more than ever before.
Shane in SC
Lumbar laminectomy 2005
ACDF 2006
Thoracic discectomy 2008
Lumbar discectomy 6/2010 & rods and screws due to reherniation-8/2010
2/14---new cervical pain with radiculopathy--both arms

• I had a badly herniated L5/S1 disk that went undiagnosed for over a year because I never had the classic leg pain. It wasn't until I developed foot-drop and my achilles reflex was dead that they finally realized that I had a serious issue. An MRI was ordered and it showed a piece of disk the size of a man's thumb pushing into my sciatic nerve.

I had a discectomy that went beautifully. Within six weeks I was off all meds and back to work. I felt like a new person. After 3 months they gave me a green light to do whatever I wanted. Well, it was winter so I took it easy. In the spring I got on my road bike and was doing some serious hills. Something popped in my back, and all of the pain came back. I had another discectomy, but this one was a mess. There was a lot of scar tissue adhering to the nerve root from the first surgery and the surgeon had a heck of a time doing what he thought would be a simple procedure.

From there, I never got better. I believe that I had lost so much disk material and my disk was so collapsed that I now had severe disk pain (that's what my NS said) -- thus I ended up with a fusion.

I wish I could have a do-over. I wish the doctor had cautioned me to take it easy. I wish he had prescribed PT to rebuild my core strength. I wish I knew that once you rupture a disk, it will never again have the same integrity and that it will always be susceptible to reinjury. I wish... I wish...

You mentioned several surgeries and I see that they are all at different levels? That sounds like a lot to me. So what are you being told regarding your options at this point? Has the doctor prescribed PT, ever?

Best wishes,

• Sorry to hear that you are having pain again.
    I hope that your MRI will show something simpler than a reherniated disc.

I had my disc removed and replaced with a cage and bone graft, so won't have a problem with that disc now. However, both my discs either side were already degenerated, so I worry about those levels.

My surgeon said I can do anything, including sports and don't need to go carefully. :S
    Reading about so many others who have either reherniated discs or had the adjoining levels go, makes me less than confident that I can carry on with anything and not worry.
    He even said at 10 days after surgery that I could drive and do anything, including bending. There was no way that I was ready for driving or bending as early as that! :jawdrop:

Do let us know what the MRI shows, and how your surgeon decides to deal with it.
    Wishing you a good outcome :-)
  • When will the new MRI be done?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008