Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

loss of power in hands and legs in the morning

casanovaccasanova Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hi was wondering if some one can help i under went ACDF on c5-c6 c6-c7 bulging of these discs traping a nerve down my left arm through left shoulder in nov 2008 since then i am in constant pain some days not so bad other days it feels as bad as before the op. I find the pain is constant at a dull ache in my neck at its best with no arm pain about a pain level 2-4. But every time i try to do any thing slightly physical like getting in and out a car or pulling a few weeds out the garden i suffer great pain a few hours after back in arm stabbing pain in my elbow and pain in a line from left side of neck through my left shoulder down my arm to my left hand. I wake up in the mornings sometimes with numbness pins n needles in my 2 fingers on my left hand my little finger and finger next to it and half my hand in a line from my fingers. I get cramp in my neck when i yawn i feel muscle spasm and squash my throat. I started a new job the other week and as the days went on i gradually got worse until i was crying with the pain,now i am off work again and doing very little aprt from sitting on the sofa the pain has been reduced back to a dull ache level. But i cant live like this i need to be up and about i need to work cant afford not to. Any ideas on why im like this and is there any answers i have an appointment comming up with my neuro surgeon soon to ask for more tests. I am taking medication but when this pain starts nothing will help reduce it only to stop what im doing and get total rest.

Hi this is an erlier post from me so you can see whats been going on i feel im progresively getting worse i woke up the other maorning and it scared me i had no power in my hands i found it hard just to even make a fist and when i stood up my both legs was the same aswell i felt my knees was going to buckle under me my knees felt that weak. i couldnt even hold my tooth brush in my hand i had an appointment with my GP that morning and he has said for me to go back and have blood tests to see whats going on he said i looked dehiderated and asked if i drink alcahol or lost a great deal of weight lately as the day when on it got more manageable this morning i woke up and could feel some ristrictions still in my hand as in making a fist when i first wake up but not as bad as the other day. any 1 else get this would this be due to a trapped nerve still. Or could it be artheritus.

• I would call the surgeons office and explain what is going on. Maybe they can move up your appointment. Hopefully it is something simple but I always like to play it safe.
  • Howdy! As I read your post, I thought *I* wrote it! Wow! I am fused as you describe, but mine where a year apart. Now with me, my C8 is going, and my vertebra is cracked below (C6) the bottom screw of my first fusion - and there is movement. When I sleep horizontal on my back, I awake with numb arms and hands. If I sleep on my right side, my left arm is numb when I wake up. For the last few nights I've been sleeping with a 30 degree pillow wedge, and now I wake up with tingle fingers - so a little better. Like you, pain has returned to my neck (more on the left now - prior was to the right), shoulder and down the arms. Have you tried sleeping propped up a bit? It is making it a bit better on my end...

For me, more likely than not, I will have to have a revision with the addition of C7/8. My 1 year x-rays should be in about 3 weeks - then we'll see what if anything is on the plan list. What I would do, as Kris suggested as well, is get with your NS staff and try and get an appointment. Tell them as you did us what is going on, and you would really need (please) an appointment. Hopefully it will be something minor. Please let us know what you find out. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.