Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone!

dfghddfgh Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone! ALex is here now to get answers. You most likely see me in Back Pain/Pain problem section. :)

Good to be here guys!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. glad you stopped by.. i can see you are getting around the forum alright!! good for you! be sure and ask all your questions till you have all your questions answered, that is what we are here for!! and you will find so much information on video and other resources!! please make yourself at home and i look forward to reading your posts! Jenny :)
  • Well, I'm totally new to this site. I just needed some validation. I am going through the Neuro-stimulator trial right now - pain level is definitely down, but I feel like a human walking vibrator. I HATE IT!!! What now? I have the option of this, the pain pump or a 4-level fusion in my lower back What are the pros-cons of the stimulator vs. the pain pump? I seriously don't want to have another surgery! It would be my 3rd. Any comments?
  • :T So anyway, I had my first car accident in 2006, rear ended at about 40 miles per hour, 2nd car accident in 2008 - T-boned which ended up in 2 surgeries in 2008. I have been in constant pain since 2006, I have been through every injection, pool therapy, land therapy, chiropractor, pain patch and oral drug there is...I am doing the trial for the stimulator and hate it. I have no idea, am I being stupid? What are the stats here of the percentage of people having success with the stimulator vs. the pain pump? Any comments?
  • You might want to check out the Spinal Cord Stimulation Forum as well as Pain Management Forum. You will find that the SCS and Pain Pump have been discussed at great length and you may find some of the answers you are looking for.

Sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable with the stimulation. Have you tried adjusting the pulse width and pulse repetition? I think many company reps do a disservice to SCS trial patients, by trying to really focus the stimulation field. Then the patient thinks they have to really ramp the signal amplitude up and next thing you know, the patient is uncomfortable with the beating of the SCS. Have you tried having the SCS reprogrammed yet? If not, that's what the trial is all about ... most will get in contact with the rep and see about getting some reprogramming.

When you shut the SCS off, what type of sensation do you experience? I have found that most everyone who has success with and SCS will describe a very similar feeling when the unit is switched off, compared to those who the SCS fails to help.

I am a bit confused. You said one of your options is a 4 level fusion? If there is mechanical issues or instability, it has been noted that the SCS will only provide relief for a limited time. Is there a specific reason why you are bypassing surgery and investigating interventional pain management?

Pain pumps carry with them far greater risk than the SCS does. Death by overdose is one that has happened both during the trial and after permanent implant. With an SCS, once things scar in, the patient may only need to visit the PM doc for an annual reprogramming/tune up. With the Pain Pump, it is said that the patient becomes married to their pain management doc.

There's a lot more. Have you gone to the manufacturer's website yet to read up on the different devices?

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Myself I love my SCS