Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Alternative Asthma treatments?

amanda007amanda007 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Alternative Treatments
HI, I am 35 years female from US. I am suffering from asthma from last 8 years, am dependant upon my inhalers to give me relief should I become breathless… Could you probably recommend me in order to get out more about these 'alternative' treatments. Are they worthwhile?

• Alternative treatments, refers to alternative treatments for issues related to the spine. Have you tried searching for forums that deal with breathing issues?
  • I have had asthma for 32 years now and I have five children, of whom 4 are asthmatics and 2 of those have potentially life-threatening asthma.

My asthma is so well-controlled that I never use a rescue inhaler (e.g., Proventil/Albuterol), although I keep one on-hand just in case. The reason my asthma is controlled is that I religiously use an inhaler that controls inflammation. I am also very careful to manage my allergies by taking medication (Allegra, in my case) and by avoiding allergy/asthma triggers such as dust, dog or cat dander, and pollen. My twin girls have such severe asthma that we are doubly vigilant about having them avoid situations where they are exposed to asthma triggers such as dog or cat dander.

IN MY OPINION, this is far more important than any other "alternative" remedy and even more important than the medications we take. Please don't misunderstand that statement. We all take our inhalers to manage inflammation (Asmanex has been wonderful for me, and my girls use Symbicort along with allergy meds). I'm just saying that managing exposure to asthma triggers is even more important than the medication. Despite taking all of our medications, we have all made trips to the Emergency Room due to a severe reaction to dust or dander -- something that we could have prevented and something that we now very carefully monitor and manage.

I don't know your specific situation and I'm not in a position to make recommendations to you regarding treatment. I suppose my main point is to follow the guidance of a good allergist and/or pulmonologist. I hope you will be skeptical of so-called alternative therapies, detox, etc. I have seen some children with terrible asthma symptoms who were on a so-called alternative therapy. It made me angry with the parents (friends of mine) to see what they were doing to their children in the spirit of alternative medicine. Again, this is just my opinion based upon my experience and observation.

Last point -- if asthma goes untreated, especially in children, it can actually cause permanent damage to lung function. I can cite a reference if needed.

Best wishes,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    As "C" stated, there are many online sites that deal with COPD and related respiratory problems.

Dave provided his own situation on how he and his family keep things under control.

My wife runs a Pulmonary Rehab center and deals daily with patients with Asthma and severe COPD and they work on 'better' ways to get through the day.
    Just to get into one of her programs, a patient needs to first see one of the pulmonologist and then have walk test and lung function tests done.

But perhaps before you need to go that route, having an update with your Allergy doctor is in order. They are best prepared to provide you with the answers you are looking for.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had been having lung infections and pnuemonia for yrs and after last scare my gp sent me to pulmonologist(excuse my spelling).
    I Went to great pulmonary doc who measure oxygen levels and got me on symbicord and another preventive med..
    We have taking all carpeting out of our home little things like this have helped our son whom has allergies..his we have noticed are mostly now in winter months but with allergy meds hes good..
    My doc also ran alot alot of allergy test and walking test...can't rememeber name of most of them but was done in a booth and used a computer...
    hope you get in and get full work up by someone in the pulmonary field...
    they can get you tested and on the proper meds...
    I know yoga is a great deep breathing exercise for me...
    best of luck to you
    I'm not in any medical field just a patient with lots of experience being a lab rat
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I want to share some thing for those who are willing to take up medical assistant jobs . Please follow the link for complete details.
  • Herbal medicine and acupunctura are two alternative asthama treatment methods.