Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Health Insurance Issue

amanda007amanda007 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Health care for all is a prerequisite, and it i a noble goal, but the current process leaves much to be preferred. My question is - What happens to the cost of insurance to the company that is providing the insurance to the employee? :?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    if we have members on this site that work for Insurance companies so that they could provide you with detailed answers.

I also can't say which Web site to get that answered, but probably if you poked around, you might get some reasonable clues.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Are you asking what is the cost to the employer vs the cost to the employee?

If so, there's no set formula, it varies by employer. Some of the variables are company size, industry, claim history, claim costs, demographics, etc. Every year the insurance company reviews all the data along with the projected increase in medical costs for the next year.

Many large employers actually pay employee medical claims themselves out of a trust funded in lieu of premiums to the insurance company. However they contract with an insurance company to be the administrator of the claims. Often employees do not know this as it doesn't affect the employee care, etc.

All of this requires complex actuarial calculations. Renewal rates are provided to the employer. If the employer chooses to get other quotes they provide any prospective insurance company their claim history (costs and diagnoses) for a set period (usually 5-10 years).

Many employers offer statements to employees each year to show the actual cost of coverage and how much they pay and the % shifted to the employee. You can ask HR/Benefits how much it costs to insure you. They often will know the cost per employee, per family, etc (depending on the structure at your employer)

I happened to work for a Dutch based insurance company. In the Netherlands the medical coverage is provided at a much lower cost in terms of actual premiums or employee contribution (and much higher taxes are paid by employees). Because of this they wanted to provide their USA employees coverage at a lesser cost than some other companies such as ones based in the US.

Even if you and I are the same age and both have coverage under the same insurance company, there's no reasonable way to compare what we each pay. There are too many variables for that to be viable comparison.

Am I getting at what you are looking for?

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos