Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here. Diagnosis Spinal stenosis and Spondylosis

south_txgalssouth_txgal Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi Everyone,

My first post and I'll try to not be long winded (people say I tend to be long winded at times lol). First let me say I have read alot of posts and I don't seem to be as bad off as most. So I hope I don't come across as a crybaby with little to be worried about. Had an MRI done last year, dr thought it was sciatica, but MRI showed the following:
L1-2: Minimal facet arthropathy without spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.
L2-3: Unremaarkable
L3-4: Mild loss of disc height and facet arthropathy without spinal canal or significant foramonal stenosis.
L4-5: Facet arthropathy without spinal canal stenosis. There is no high grade foraminal stenosis. The foramina are slightly effaced bilaterally.
L5-S1: Mild loss of disc height. Bilateral facet arthropathy. The spinal canal and foramena are patent.

Ok so I understand all this means I have mild DDD, foraminal stenosis and lumbar arthritis. Then in April of this year I had a menistectomy for a torn left miniscus. I went thru 2 months of physical therapy before surgery to try to heal it without surgery to no avail. Last week went back to my OS and was told there is very little strength in my quad so he sent me for another MRI. Office called today and was kind enough to read (not interpret) the impression for new MRI. I was told impression read Spondylosis at L4-5 and Central canal Stenosis most notably at L4-5.
I have read much on stenosis and now realize I have had symptoms for at least 8 years. Back pain, left leg pain numbness and weakness. I equate the leg pain to feeling like someone is taking my quad,hamstring and calf and wringing them out much like you would a washcloth. At times the pain radiates all the way to my foot and causes the toes to web out!
Ok so I got long winded....sorry. My questions... Does stenosis progress from foraminal to central canal? And I don't seem to have the disc bulging and herniation that most here do, is that a progression of it as well? I couldnt imagine the pain getting too much worse than it already is (and I have a very high pain tolerance, gave birth to 4 10 lb kids naturally). Also I am currently going to college, was finishing up prerequisites for a degree in Registered Nursing...mom says I should rethink this and go into what I have a true passion for, Culinary Arts/Bakery Chef. Im guessing this will affect being a nurse??? Dr says at 41 I have the knees and back of a 65 year old due to trying to work like a man in warehousing for 11 years!!

• Welcome to Spine-Health forum!

Did your doctor tell you what was causing the stenosis? The narrowing is caused by something--either a disc bulging or bone spurs, etc. Whether or not foraminal stenosis could progress to central canal stenosis in your case is something your doctor would have to answer.

It sounds like you've educated yourself in your particular back problems and I personally think that's good--we all need to be as informed as we can be in order to best advocate for ourselves.

By the way, any pain in your leg that is being caused by your back is considered sciatica. You don't have to have a herniated disc or some other particular diagnosis to have sciatica--it is simply the name for pain which radiates down the leg from an origin in your back, from what I've learned in my reading. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Sorry to see you have some of the symptoms similar to mine. I've had relief from facet joint injections as well as epidurals for the sciatica from Degenerative disc and mild disc height.

As for your question 'Does stenosis progress from foraminal to central canal?' Write down these questions as your Dr. will be able to help you with this.

Best wishes for going to College and choose what you have a passion for as that will keep you going! Take care and keep us posted how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :) we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so sorry to hear you are having chronic pain.. i have sciatica and find the nerve pain medications to be a big help! talk to your doctor about this if you are not on them! :-C good luck to you and stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • So sorry I haven't responded earlier, but I was hoping to see the dr so I had a better picture of what's actually going on. Well the neurosurgeon my orthopedic dr sent me to looked over the new MRI and decided it was outside the realm of his specialty, whatever that means, (he specializes in minimally invasive surgeries). He referred me to one of his partners, who will then look over the MRI and decide if he wants to take it. So.... I took it upon myself to get a copy of the new MRI...

There is a partially dessiccated disc at the L3-4 and L5-S1 levels.
    L1-2, L2-3- No significant disc bulge or spondylosis.
    L3-4: There is mild spondylosis with a minimal diffuse annular bulge and hypertrophic change of the facet joints and ligamentum flavum. There is no significant central or foraminal stenosis.
    L4-5: here is mild spondylosis with a minimal diffuse annular bulge, hypertrophic changes of the facet joints and ligamentum flavum. The resulting mild central canal stenosis. There is no significant foraminal narowing.
    L5-S1:There is mild spondylosis with minimal diffuse annular bulge and hypertrophic change of the facet joints and ligamentum flavum. There is no significant central or foraminal stenosis...

Impression: Minimal mild lumbar spondylosis most pronounced at the L4-5 level with resulting mild central canal stenosis,

On a positive note, they did make a note on the MRI that my left adrenal mass/adenoma has not changed since last years MRI! :)

So... does any of this look familiar to anyone who might be able to give me advice?
  • the way i see it is that words like "minimal", "mild" and "no significant ..." are very good things. as a person who has gone through a number of spine surgeries i would advise you not to jump into surgery, but rather keep with physio and/or other alternative health services. once a surgeon goes in your spine will never be the same again, and your mri sounds so posititve (lol)
  • central disc osteophyte complex at c5 c6 with left posterior paramedian disc osteophyte complex at c6 c7 c5 c6 there is resultant central canal syenosis ap canal diameter measuring 7 mm