Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Percocet to Norco

Pauloneill1PPauloneill1 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
I have chronic back/sciatica pain. I have some level of pain all day every day. I spent 2 years of my life trying to find a doctor to "fix" my problem. No one can. The best plan is to manage it with medication so I can continue to function i.e. family/business etc.

My doctor and I are considering switching me from 2 10/325 percocets 3 times a day to Norco.

I was on Norco before for several years and switched in December to Percocet because the Norco began to lose its effectiveness.

The same thing is happening now with the percocets. I don't want to "up my dose" or switch to oxycontin as some have reccomended.

His theory is that we can simply switch back and for every 6 months or so and that way my tolerance will never grow for either one.

Has anyone had success with this type of program?

• Yes I have had to keep switching my pain medicine or you have to keep taking more and more. The switching does seem to work for me for the most part.

Good Luck
    AL S
  • In the past I have changed from 3/day 10/325 Perc to 4/day Norco 7.5/325. I did this every month for a while and it worked pretty good. 6 months seems too long in between. But give it a try.

• Why don't you want to try oxycontin? For me, the long-acting pain reliever was a major change for the better in terms of pain control.
  • I have the same problem since last year and have to take medicine for pain relaxation daily. I asked my doctor to relieve me from this problem but they couldn't help me, just give some medicines which I am taking right now.
  • I don't mean to contradict anyone, but since Hydrocodone (Norco) and Oxycodone (Percocet) are fundamentally using the same narcotic, I don't see how you can avoid tolerance issues by alternating these. Am I wrong about this? Aren't they both using Codeine as the primary analgesic?

Did you say that you were taking 2 x 10mg of Percocet three times a day (60mg total)? If so, I can't envision Hydrocodone matching that in terms of pain relief. Some references will say that the maximum dosage per day of Norco is 6 pills (60mg) per day. That will not be as effective as 60mg of Percocet. I have heard that 10mg of Oxycodone is equivalent to 15mg of Hydrocodone. My experience with these meds would tend to agree with that.

I'm not a doctor, so please don't let my opinions interfere with your doctor's guidance. I'm just offering this to support your discussion. If you think I'm all wet, please feel free to disregard this.

• Reformed1 - agreed... While they are basically the same thing as the end result they are chemically different and work little different.

Bottom line I think it may be psychological. But it worked for me.....

• Well, since they are chemically different, they are not the same thing ;) From what I can see, chemically they are quite different. I know they affect my body in quite different ways.

• I can take hydroprophen without an issue but percocet doesn't touch any of my pain plus they make me nauseous beyond belief. It's weird, and it seems familial, since the same thing happens to my mom and brother.

If I remember correctly it was explained to me that they are somewhat similar but metabolized differently or something like that- but in my case there seems to be a tolerance and/or sensitivity to the drug and that I should not take it again.

• My doctor also switches it up every 6 months so the meds will be more effective.

I believe that the difference comes down to the molecular binding and mechanism of action of each of those drugs. Can't explain it, but that's what was told to me by my doctor. Just that slight difference can make a difference, even if the same 2 medications are switched around every 6 months or so.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! :)
  • Exactly - hydrocodone and oxycodone, though chemically related to codeine (and thebaine, more specifically), are two entirely different semi-synthetic opioid drugs.