Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle twitching

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I havent posted in a while, I have been doing okay since my acdf 4/5 5/6. I am on lyrica 450 mg a day, hydrocodone as needed, normally 15 mgs a day. I have gone back to work, I own my own cleaning business. I do all the cleaning. I clean homes. My ns okayed me going back to work after 7 weeks post-op. My question is this, I have started twitching, in different parts of my body, I twitch in my toes, trunk, arms, sometimes the face. Plus my whole body hurts, yesterday after cleaning a home I felt like my spine in mid back like it hurt all the way to my front, and my low back hurt a lot with pain in my legs.
The pain may be unrelated to the twithcing, I was just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms. My ns is out of town and his partner wants a Mri/Ct scan to make sure everything is in place. I thought the Lyrica could maybe make me twitch but I didnt see anything as far as that being a problem, thanks in advance, Lela

• Hi Lela, I am so sorry you are hurting! Pain can be so unending and exhausting.

You are still so early in your recovery and your work is so physical. At 5 month out from a lumbar fusion, there is no way I could clean a house. The postioning of your neck while you clean has to be painful~mopping, vaccuming, dusting, ect.

I think it is great that your ns' partener is willing to order some testing, just to be on the safe side.

I hope you are able to find some relief and relax this weekend!

Wishing you the best!
  • I too have a cleaning business and know how hard it is.
    I had lumbar fusion and didn't go back to work until a year. And I still can't do the hard stuff (employees do all that).
    I can't imagine going back at 7 weeks.
    Please take it easy you don't want to mess things up while you are still healing.
  • Howdy!!! Great to see you back with us! :)

To echo the others, "wow!" on returning to such physical work so soon! For what I've seen 'cleaners' do, I can't imagine it. It took me months before I was *cough* comfy with doing most of ones daily encountered housework for goodness sakes! Please be careful!

As to the twitches and such. I get them, not to the degree your describing though. Some of the twitching I can see on the surface of the skin, some I can only feel - not pain, just annoying. As to the pain you are describing, it sounds like *to me* that you are putting stress on other parts of your spine to compensate for your recent (RECENT) surgery. I am glad that you got with your NS, and are getting tests done to be sure all is well. I hope you keep him up to date on any changes. I won't be surprised if you are 'asked' to back down on the work a bit and let your body heal, as it seems to be talking with you woman!

Please be careful, and too, keep us posted! Support *HUGZ* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks all! You know my ns is good, I will have to rely on his opinion. I am tending to agree with y'all that maybe I need to back down a little so that I can heal. I was thiking of doing one home every other day so that I wouldnt have to clean everyday. Brenda those twitches you get what does your doc say they are from? Just the nerves healing? also, I was wondering who has fibromyalgia and how common is it for us spineys to have it because of our spine problems. It would be interesting to know, I have not been diagnosed with it but I think I have it, I hurt all over from head to toe. just curious...Lela.. good to be back Brenda, I have been lurking, just havent posted in awhile..hehe
  • I am very glad you're back Lela!! *HUG* No more lurking okay? It's enjoyable to chat and post with ya!! In the beginning with mine, I was told that the twitches were due to healing. After further EMG testing 7 months later, I was told much of it was nerve damage and from the Neuropathy. I do see a lot of twitching and too spasms in my legs if I try shopping a lot. Unfortunately I usually don't "feel" it till a few hours or the next day, but had it happen enough I could connect it to my prior (recent) activities.

Some of my twitches in my arm, I can change them when I move my head around. I have a crack between my fusions in the main vertebra, and that allows movement and I am guessing intermittent nerve irritation. My last MRI was only 8 weeks after the surgery, so there was too much inflammation to see if there were issues that had changed. I am coming up on my year check, so will ask for a new MRI.

I hope you find that yours is 'healing nerves' as it most likely is. My first fusion did that for about 8 months. They didn't hurt, just I would find I would 'smooth' down my arm cuz it felt funny? Or a little itch reaction type of thing. After that, all was good. :)

• i was in the same situation as you, with the work situation, i worked with a friend who had her own cleaning business, i did it for two years, i don't want to scare you i thought i was killing my self (neck wise) i had to quit, i ended up with a torn rotator cuff, a cracked fusion,i was in pain 24/7-i had a torn rotator cuff from pushing the vac cleaner, and mopping. had to have a second surgery it took me two years to heal, i don't know how you are doing it. it is hard work. please try to think about this- when you are in pain- your body is telling you this for a reason- give yourself more time to heal,some very heart felt valuable information from someone who has been in your shoes.god bless you.
  • Hoping you are 'off' for the weekend. Just checking and hoping you are feeling a bit better? I've traveled tons, and saw a lot of folks that did cleaning much as you described. I just hope you aren't pushing to early! Please look out for NUMBER 1 okay? Gentle hugs to ya woman!!!

• Thanks mick and Brenda!! I have been off since thursday. Yes it is very hard work and I can feel my body telling me nooooo. My biggest problem is that I need the income. I have an 18 year old headed to college, I am divorced and get no help from my ex-husband. I am married to a great guy but he cant pay for everything we would be in the hole!! I dont know what to do. I do feel like I have something pushing on my throat. I am sure its okay, that I am imagining it, because they want to do the mri-ct scan. I too feel like I have something wrong with my right shoulder, hurts all the time!! I guess on to an orthopedic doc!! I have cleaned for 10 years, and I do catering, cooking for large crowds!! I just dont know if I will be able to continue on with all that, I think I need a good sit down job!! We will see! thanks for your support all, I couldnt have done this without ya!! hugs to you Brenda hope you are doing okay, I havent read how you are doing or seen a thread for you!! (isnt it hot as heck down here in fl?)