Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scar tissue and SCS

AnneENorthAAnneENorth Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I have epidural fibrosis from my surgery in 2005 and am basically in bed ever since. I have nerve pain that radiates down both legs and into the feet. In June I did the scs trial with iffy results that I am going to see a surgeon about. In the meantime, I am worried about scar tissue developing from the scs trial. It has been about 4 weeks since my trial and I seem to be in more pain than ever. My pm is giving me an epidural shot that usually helps to calm my nerve pain down but can't get me in until the 18th. I had to go to an internalist yesterday for my 6th month checkup and she prescribed me an oral Medrol (?) steroid pack to help me heal. Should I call my pm to make sure that it won't make extra scar tissue from the scs trial grow and won't interfere with the shot he is going to give me? The Internalit said that it would not interfere with the shot but did not ask her about scar tissue. Does steroids even make it grow? I really don't need any extra scar tissue.

• You ask a very good question and I wish that I had a hard cold fact to reference or point you to, but I don't at this time. There are studies that show some people will develop and inordinate amount of scar tissue around the lead/electrode of their SCS. When I had my SCS implanted, like everyone else I was given a set of restrictions that were designed to allow my body time enough to develop scar tissue around the leads, so that they are held in place.

A trial lead is only inserted for a few days and then removed. So in essence it is removed before it has any chance of scarring in place.

Anything seems possible these days. There have been many rumblings about how each and every time we get an epidural, scar tissue develops from the track the needle took.

I think it would be good to ask your doc about your concern over scar tissue. Since you already have epidural fibrosis, I wonder if you are prone to develop it from something like a lead or an epidural needle.

The steroids should be good for eliminating or reducing any inflammation

Hope you feel better soon

• Maybe a year or so ago, there were quite a few of us that noted the pain seemed to have returned with a vengeance between a trial and a permanent placement.

We kind of decided the pain had time to shower and shave during the trial, then rest up and attack when the trial was over!

I went about 3 weeks between IIRC and the pain was very nasty after the trial lead was removed.

As "C" says, there seems to be a lot of concern slowly growing about the formation of scar tissue from most any procedure. It seems to depend on the individual.

I know that for years I was an auto technician and had stitches in my hand several times, the scars from those are tiny, later I scratched the back of my left hand and the scar from it looks like a surgical incision! I don't know at this point if they are close to figuring out rhyme and reason for these kind of things. Let's hope so!