Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSI and SSDI back pay

IvorymoonIIvorymoon Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was awarded SSDI two months ago, and I am still waiting for the back pay (I was also awarded back pay.....). It seems to be taking forever.... does SSI hold up your SSDI back pay? I applied for both, and now I am beginning to think that the SSI part of it is slowing down the process of my back pay.... My monthly benefits will begin in August, but still no word on my back pay, and I am about to lose my apartment if I don't get my back pay soon so I can get caught up with rent..... this is so frustrating.....

• I'm not sure if you could give them a call and see what's going on? It's so stressful not knowing when your entitled benefits start. I hope you get your back pay soon. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Back Pay receipt varies. Some people receive it before they get the approval letter.

Often SSA (Social Security Administration) is checking to see if you received any SSI during the time you were waiting for SSDI approval.

SSI is a needs based disability benefit and sometimes those applying for SSDI are low in resources and qualify for SSI.

If you did receive SSI then SS has to recalculate your SSDI benefit. For example, if you received $300 in May 2010 for SSI, but your SSDI is $1500/mo and you would have been eligible for SSDI in May 2010, then for that month they provide you $1200 for that month ($1500 SSDI - $300 SSI = $1200 net SSDI benefit).

I have STD and LTD through my employer so in applying for SSDI my attorney put on the application "Do not consider or review for SSI due to resources and employer disability income during entire period of disability"
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for the input..... it sure gets frustrating.....

I called today, seems they are waiting for a reply from a previous employer of mine, but I never worked for the place they are waiting to hear from.....so I asked them to please look into this and perhaps it was a typo (that I had worked for that employer), so here it has been held up due to some mistake and them thinking I used to work at some place that I did not.... if that makes sense..... sooooo.... I sure hope they got things straightened out today.....
  • I have applied for disability and been denied, now I'm waiting for a court date from my appeal. It's been over two years since my appeal. I was just wondering how long it took to get disability, and what you were disabled for. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I'm just trying to get some peace of mind that I will get approved, even though my lawyer says I will. I've had nine back surgeries to date, and am fused 360 from S1-L3. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I also have two more bulged discs in lumbar, and three in my cervical. I was a hog farmer, had to sell my farm because of back. Only thing I know how to do!! Thought about just getting in a accident so my family could get my life insurance, but really want to see my kids grow up! Thanks
    11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

Make sure to get an attorney and one that ONLY does disability law.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I am sure you are worth way more to your family than your policy!!! Keep on pressing on with trying to get the SSD. My hearing date is Sept 1st...I applied over 2 years ago...last day of work was Oct 2007. I agree, make sure your attorney just does SSD cases. God Bless
  • FlyFFly Posts: 1
    edited 07/25/2013 - 2:41 PM
    Do NOT EVER give up or give in. I filed june 2011 and my attorney also said I had a good case. He was right I did get approved. It was only this month so I probably won't see a check for a month I think. I cannot imagine you would be denied. I also am an x-ray tech and have no other skill set. I HATE not being able to work. You will be o.k. with your case, but you must be breathing to do it. I also had to move due to loss of pay and many nites I lay in bed thinking some of the same thoughts you must have so I understand, believe me. When the fight knocks me down I have my twin sister to cover my back, if she falls my Mom is behind her, if she falls my brother in law is behind her. Use your family or friends or even your Dr. You have an army behind you don't forget that.. You must think of how your family member would feel when they find you, and have to attend your funeral, go thru your belongings. Who's pain and suffering would be worse, yours right now or theirs forever? You are stronger than you think, you will come thru this. I promise.
  • wrightmswwwrightmsw Posts: 25
    edited 11/14/2013 - 4:14 AM
    applied over 2 years ago, have a lawyer and are now waiting for a court date. So tired of waiting and waiting, One good thing though finally got approved for Medicaid spenddown, so at least I can see my doctors and get my meds
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • Ivorymoon....your federal congressman's office can oftentimes assist if you can prove a hardship and need. I know this with certainty. Contact your federal congressman and provide name address SS number and proof of hardship and ask for their assistance. good luck.