Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

STD and Surgery

bobbinladybbobbinlady Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, haven’t written in a while. Hubby was diagnosed with Diabetes and had some issues over the summer. So here is an update.
Went to school yesterday with a letter from the Dr with restrictions. (School) The principal sent me home. They can’t accomodade me. (And it was only the lifting… I work in Special Ed). So I spent this morning at HR getting my Family Leave paperwork started. Also called the DR to get them to set up the surgery ASAP. (The soonest is in September) Cross your fingers that they approve the surgery (TLIF) and it gets done finally.

DDD, 2 lower discs pretty much gone. Grade 2+ Spondylothesis. Severe bone spurs and Facet issues. ESI’s, Rhizotomy, Chiropractic adjustments, Roxicodone 15mg 4x daily, Soma 350mg 2x daily, Neurontin 300mg 3x daily. Heating pad, Tens Machine.
Hubby said it’s gona be like the Gestapo. He doesn’t want me to hurt anything afer the surgery. He says he is going to handcuff me to the bed. A little bit late to get kinky, don’t you think? LOL.

• I was on STD after my back injury but never ended up getting surgery and now on LTD from work. I hope you get your surgery soon. Other than walking don't overdo anything. It's good your husband's supportive in his own fun way! Take care and keep us posted how your surgery goes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Your post made me smile. Love your hubby's sense of humor!

I hope you get your surgery approved soon--am waiting on insurance approval myself. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Good to see you posting again, but sorry for what's happening to your hubby and for your need for surgery.

I had a TLIF in January and you'll be happy to be chained to the bed for the first week or two. But it's important to get up and start walking as soon as possible.

Recovery for this surgery can be a long one and the first week or two are the toughest. Make sure you have everything you need on hand for when you come home, like a toilet seat riser, grabbers, a "station" where you'll be comfortable resting (I liked my recliner with extra pillows on the back to push me forward, or a wedge pillow on the couch or bed), and a walker. You may not need a walker, but I found that I needed one and my MIL (home nurse for first two weeks) had to scramble to get one after a couple of days.

I hope the surgery is successful like I feel mine was, but be prepared for a long recovery, like I said. But once you start to realize that the pain you're feeling is now surgical in nature and not the pain you had before surgery, it's a great feeling.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • For those wondering, the acronym "STD" in this case stands for short term disability.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Paul said:
    For those wondering, the acronym "STD" in this case stands for short term disability.
    Thanks for clearing that up. After the kinky ending to the first post I was beginning to wonder. :D

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I see you mentioned filling out FMLA paperwork. FMLA is usually no-paid leave and generally lasts for 12 weeks (some employers extend this a bit and some states also extend it a bit).

Did you also complete specific STD forms? STD and FMLA are different. STD is meant to provide you a percentage of your income for any period in which you are found to be disabled from your job. Sometimes employers administer this themselves, and sometimes it's done via an insurance company.

The reason I ask is that FMLA is a federal law that allows for 12 weeks of unpaid leave (some employers do pay during this time, but the majority do not) in any one year, during that time your job is protected. After you exhaust FMLA there is no job protection unless you have something else available under your employment (unions frequently have this). STD, however, can last longer. My STD lasted 26 weeks and then I went to LTD. LTD can last until retirement age if I remain disabled.

Many employers run FMLA and STD concurrently. Mine did, and at the end of my FMLA eligibility my position was eliminated.

If you have STD or anything similar get a copy of the plan booklet so you can see what your exact benefits are.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • In my case, since I work for a school district, the 2 will be concurrent. Thanks for mentioning that. Some people might not be aware of this. Maybe this post needs to be in the section for insurance as well. :?