Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pillow under legs while sleeping

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My therapist told me today that the worst thing for the spine is lying on a flat surface ,that a pillow should always be under the legs .Opinions ?
advertisement

Comments

• I sleep mostly on my sides, with a pillow between my legs and "hugging" another pillow to help shoulder/neck problems.

I can't sleep on my back anymore, but when I did I had to have a pillow under my knees.
  • I agree with your therapist. since my back surgery I always sleep on my back with a pillow under my knee and find it very comfortable. I could not even imagine otherwise.
  • i use a pillow under my legs alot of the time.. whether i am laying on my back or my side i use a pillow under my legs.. it helps relieve some of the stress on my back... i think it is a rather personal thing as to whether it helps or not but of course your doctor knows best! good luck! Jenny :)
  • a hot redhead {my wife]! and a memory foam pillow in between my knees i have done for years .i can't stand my knees touching each other even my feet have to be away from each other .but the pillow {and memory foam is the best for this } is a really good idea
    STRAKER
  • I've been sleeping with a softish pillow between my knees when on my side. When I'm sleeping on my back (a lot less often now days) I use this big triangular shaped foam pillow.... it's made for under yours knees when sleeping on your back or behind you if you want/need to sleep with a slight incline or sit up that way.

I measured the one used during PT, that I was comfortable with, and then ordered it for bed at home. I find it helps. You could ask your PT which one they suggest and then ask to try it while waiting for them to get to you.

It took a while to get used to the sizes of mine even tho' the angle isn't that great... I started up with a rolled up towel between my knees...

Hopefully you'll find the position and pillow, if necessary, that will keep you comfy.

• I always have a pillow between my knees when I am sleeping on my side, and under my knees when I am sleeping on my back.

Before my surgery, I couldn't sleep on my back, and if ever I lay on my back, I would have to have my knees bent up, or I would be very uncomfortable.

I think it is recognised about using the pillow. I was told in hospital, to have the pillow either under or between my knees, depending on how I was lying at the time.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yes, this is the norm. If you lay totally flat you are straining the low back. By putting a pillow under the knees you are flattening out the low back.

Everyone differs in size, shape, type, amount, etc of pillows they use. For me, every night is different. I also always use a pillow between my knees when laying on my side.

Whenever I'm in the hospital, have an MRI, etc I make sure there are pillows for under my knees. Nurses and nurses aides have been great about that, I get the sense it's a common request.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I slept for 17years with a pillow under my knees that was the only way I could get comfortable, but in the past few weeks I cannot. I started waking up with extreme, pain, numbness and tingling it has gotten better without a pillow....pretty strange. I want to put it back but I don't know what to do about the increased pain.
  • I have been sleeping with a latex pillow under my knees for nearly 4 years but lately I get really restless and also pain start to emerge in my tail bone area and some numbness in my buttocks, so I started to sleep on my side. But as soon as I sleep on my right side, my left pelvic would hurt.

Does anyone here experience this?

Please share with me.

Thank you.

• i still can't get comfy even on the latest mattress the octaspring and i use the tempur millenium queen pillow for my head and a generic memory foam pillow in between my knees at first i am very comfy but two hours later and the pain grips me in my lower back and legs and feet then i have to get up .{every night for the last ten years}..my back is wrecked i am only 46 many people don't realise that back pain from a car crash and three major operations is not the same as the normal back pain that many adults get at some point in there lives and suffer for a few days .....
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • You may find it more comfortable with a small pillow between your knees while on your side as it evens out your pelvis and legs and stops the rub on the legs and bones. Even a pillow behind your back with your hip just on the edge of it may help with the pillow between the knees. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • backache99 said:
    i still can't get comfy even on the latest mattress the octaspring and i use the tempur millenium queen pillow for my head and a generic memory foam pillow in between my knees at first i am very comfy but two hours later and the pain grips me in my lower back and legs and feet then i have to get up .{every night for the last ten years}..my back is wrecked i am only 46 many people don't realise that back pain from a car crash and three major operations is not the same as the normal back pain that many adults get at some point in there lives and suffer for a few days .....
    tony
    Totally agree with you on the matter about no one can understand. People see me like a normal person on the outside but basically I cannot do much things anymore. Simple chores like grocery shopping or sweeping are a big problem for me. I am a qualified pastry chef but no longer able to continue this passion. I am only in my mid 30s and have already given up many dreams. The biggest dream is wanting to become a mother before I reach 40.
  • charry said:
    You may find it more comfortable with a small pillow between your knees while on your side as it evens out your pelvis and legs and stops the rub on the legs and bones. Even a pillow behind your back with your hip just on the edge of it may help with the pillow between the knees. Charry
    Hi Charry, thank you for your advice. However, will a small pillow between my knees work? Will a small pillow cause more pressure on the hip (roll over effect)?
    Thank you once again.
  • I had a failed surgery in 1997 and after the surgery I bough what I thought was a good bed, Never again I said, It took me some time but I finally got back into my water bed. During one of my moves I lost the mattress and once again bought a regular mattress and now I sleep sideways on the bed with my left foot hanging off the edge just to be able to sleep due to the leg and back pain I have.

I have now just bought a new water bed mattress and will be putting it in this month and I am looking forward to how it will work for me. I think it is the combination of the heat and contouring of the mattress and support it gives me. SO we shall see because as of now I only sleep 2-3 hours a night before my legs are screaming and I am up.
  • You could put a piece of another pillow behind your back to take the pressure off your hip so you`re slightly rolled on your back or stomach and the pillow between the knees. I also find a memory foam mattress comfortable although guess there is a air mattress may be helpful or water bed.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Rob61RRob61 Posts: 33
    edited 10/14/2012 - 8:06 AM
    Rob61 said:
    I had a failed surgery in 1997 and after the surgery I bough what I thought was a good bed, Never again I said, It took me some time but I finally got back into my water bed. During one of my moves I lost the mattress and once again bought a regular mattress and now I sleep sideways on the bed with my left foot hanging off the edge just to be able to sleep due to the leg and back pain I have.

I have now just bought a new water bed mattress and will be putting it in this month and I am looking forward to how it will work for me. I think it is the combination of the heat and contouring of the mattress and support it gives me. SO we shall see because as of now I only sleep 2-3 hours a night before my legs are screaming and I am up.

UPDATE ON WATER BED:

I have been using it for a few days already and I can now sleep on my back and it supports my back and legs. Plus the heat helps my back. I actually look forward to going to bed again.

• Rob, that is such good news. Having adequate sleep makes a huge difference to how we can cope.
    Sleep well ZZZzzzzzzzz
  • jellyhall said:
    Rob, that is such good news. Having adequate sleep makes a huge difference to how we can cope.
    Sleep well ZZZzzzzzzzz

Thanks, The support of the bed and the heat is helping , BUT (there is always a but) when I get up I am back to square one but I look at it this way I could be worse. And I have shopped around to get new insurance as what obama says about keeping what you have is a lie lol And now I have insurance that covers the 20% so I have an appointment with my pain Dr in December and will be talking to them about the stim for the back and maybe I will go for the trial. Because my left leg is getting worse with the pain as well as the back. Hey but I look at the bright side is I am looking at new canes and found a place on the internet and some of them look great a little slimming if you ask me lol
  • I am thinking of getting a wedge pillow for after my 2 level ACDF to help me sleep.
    For the fast few nights, I have been having trouble finding a comfortable position for my head.
    I keep waking up with a throbbing headaches, that is definately related to the position of my head.
    Perhaps this is my body getting me ready for the pain after surgery!! LOL!

I had my MRI for yesterday cancelled because the machine wasn't working.
    I am rescheduled to have it next week. My surgeon wants it to have an up to date idea of what he will find because my last scan was done over a year ago.
    Rob, if there are slimming canes out there, I need one!! LOL!
  • tammycttammyc Posts: 894
    edited 10/18/2012 - 3:34 AM
    Are you a back sleeper? or not! is that the reason why you don't get comfortable with the pillow under your knees. I was always a stomach sleeper from birth and then one day i was told absolutely no more sleeping that way for me and i took me over a year to be able to sleep on my back. I always woke up on my stomach. Now i do ocasionaly but most of the time i'm either on my back or side,but i'm always surrounded by pillows. I still can't get comfortable most of the time with pillows under my knees and end up on my side. My tight muscles have twisted me so i sleep in very odd positions and i just find that having pillow all around me helps me find the relaxations that i need.

• I can't sleep for long if at all on my back. I generally sleep on my side. This last week I have woken up to find myself on my stomach!! No wonder my neck is complaining. I am sure that it is not a good position to be in. I am having a 2 level ACDF in less than three weeks. Today at physiotherapy, he said that my neck was very tight and no wonder I have been getting so many headaches.

I think after my surgery I will have to sleep on my back for a while at least. Is there anyone who has been able to sleep on their side after an ACDF? I also have lots of pillows! My poor husband!!

• Hello jellyhall,

which pillow do you recommend under the knee for a back sleeper?
advertisement