Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Pillow under legs while sleeping

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My therapist told me today that the worst thing for the spine is lying on a flat surface ,that a pillow should always be under the legs .Opinions ?
advertisement

Comments

• I sleep mostly on my sides, with a pillow between my legs and "hugging" another pillow to help shoulder/neck problems.

I can't sleep on my back anymore, but when I did I had to have a pillow under my knees.
  • I agree with your therapist. since my back surgery I always sleep on my back with a pillow under my knee and find it very comfortable. I could not even imagine otherwise.
  • i use a pillow under my legs alot of the time.. whether i am laying on my back or my side i use a pillow under my legs.. it helps relieve some of the stress on my back... i think it is a rather personal thing as to whether it helps or not but of course your doctor knows best! good luck! Jenny :)
  • a hot redhead {my wife]! and a memory foam pillow in between my knees i have done for years .i can't stand my knees touching each other even my feet have to be away from each other .but the pillow {and memory foam is the best for this } is a really good idea
    STRAKER
  • I've been sleeping with a softish pillow between my knees when on my side. When I'm sleeping on my back (a lot less often now days) I use this big triangular shaped foam pillow.... it's made for under yours knees when sleeping on your back or behind you if you want/need to sleep with a slight incline or sit up that way.

I measured the one used during PT, that I was comfortable with, and then ordered it for bed at home. I find it helps. You could ask your PT which one they suggest and then ask to try it while waiting for them to get to you.

It took a while to get used to the sizes of mine even tho' the angle isn't that great... I started up with a rolled up towel between my knees...

Hopefully you'll find the position and pillow, if necessary, that will keep you comfy.

• I always have a pillow between my knees when I am sleeping on my side, and under my knees when I am sleeping on my back.

Before my surgery, I couldn't sleep on my back, and if ever I lay on my back, I would have to have my knees bent up, or I would be very uncomfortable.

I think it is recognised about using the pillow. I was told in hospital, to have the pillow either under or between my knees, depending on how I was lying at the time.

• Yes, this is the norm. If you lay totally flat you are straining the low back. By putting a pillow under the knees you are flattening out the low back.

Everyone differs in size, shape, type, amount, etc of pillows they use. For me, every night is different. I also always use a pillow between my knees when laying on my side.

Whenever I'm in the hospital, have an MRI, etc I make sure there are pillows for under my knees. Nurses and nurses aides have been great about that, I get the sense it's a common request.

Multiple ACDFs, Multiple Lumbar Fusions; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty
  • I slept for 17years with a pillow under my knees that was the only way I could get comfortable, but in the past few weeks I cannot. I started waking up with extreme, pain, numbness and tingling it has gotten better without a pillow....pretty strange. I want to put it back but I don't know what to do about the increased pain.
  • I have been sleeping with a latex pillow under my knees for nearly 4 years but lately I get really restless and also pain start to emerge in my tail bone area and some numbness in my buttocks, so I started to sleep on my side. But as soon as I sleep on my right side, my left pelvic would hurt.

Does anyone here experience this?

Please share with me.

Thank you.

• i still can't get comfy even on the latest mattress the octaspring and i use the tempur millenium queen pillow for my head and a generic memory foam pillow in between my knees at first i am very comfy but two hours later and the pain grips me in my lower back and legs and feet then i have to get up .{every night for the last ten years}..my back is wrecked i am only 46 many people don't realise that back pain from a car crash and three major operations is not the same as the normal back pain that many adults get at some point in there lives and suffer for a few days .....
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement