Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody have problems with gall bladder after fusion

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby had a terrible attack about two hours ago. We are fairly certain it was gall bladder as it was in that area and had all the symptoms. AND he had eaten sausage and fried potatoes for lunch.The pain was nowhere near his incision site. But it was horrendous and lasted about a half hour before it subsided. He has never had any problems before so I am wondering it this could be a side effect from the surgery.

• Can you refresh my memory? Did he have a 360 or did they just go in from the back?

I did have a stomach surgery once and shortly after, started having gall bladder problems. "They" told me it was not uncommon to have gall bladder problems after a stomach surgery.

As to after back surgery? I can't say! Mine was gone by the time I had my fusion.

I do hope this attack is just a temporary thing and they do not continue for him. He is healing and moving on so nicely.

Take Care,
  • I can say that I had my gallbladder removed about 3 years ago, and afterward I could pretty much eat just about anything. Since I had my double fusion 4 weeks ago, I have a real hard time with anything fried. He may want to stay away from the fried foods for a bit.
    Also, wouldn't hurt to get him checked out by your family doctor.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If it's truly the gallbladder, it's just poor timing, one of those coincidences that make life interesting. There would be no part of a spine fusion that would even come close to the galbladder unless there was an incision in that area.

I can tell you that laproscopic gallbladder removal is an easy surgery (2-3 small incisions) and easier to recover from. Some people have shoulder pain after as when they do it laproscopically they inflate the abdomen to see inside and as the gas dissapates it often travels toward the shoulders. Odd, but very common.

I'd suggest he see a doctor ASAP. He could have gallstones and if so that can cause another attack when he least expects it. Better to have it looked at before a visit to the ER is required.

If you have any questions please let me know.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Of course I am not a doctor, but when I had rotator cuff repair surgery on my shoulder, I had a morphine pump. The surgery seemed to "set off" my gallbladder. Come to find out that your gladbladder, if it does already have a problem, does not like morphine. My gallbladder when down hill from there. I had the shoulder surgery in oct/07 and ended up taking the gb out in 2/08. I have been fine since the gallbladder was removed. Hope this helps.
  • It presented as such but he went to our family doctor and he ordered an xray. Turns out that he had an impacted bowel. Hard to believe as he has been drinking his water faithfully and also walking a lot each day. Thanks for the replies and we really do appreciate people taking the time to post.
  • This is really interesting. When I had my last MRI they ignored my spine but commented that I have excessive gallstones. I went to my GP who said there were blood tests that would show if the gallbladder was a problem. Unfortunately I had the blood tests but she had nothing to say either way about the gallbladder results (?). Her reply was to not do anything until I have an attack.

BUt I really find it interesting that so many people here have had issues. I never heard of anyone with gallbladder problems. Not sure what the normal % is but this sure seems high. I wonder if it is related to the medications.