Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are my meds making my brain spongy?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone else have problems with memory, speech and all? The only meds I'm taking are Prilosec, Wellbutrin XL, Tramadol, Zanaflex and occasionally Flexeril. No real strong meds. I have had this problem ever since taking Neurontin 1 1/2 years ago. That was the beginning of it anyway. I've since taken other similar meds with bad results too. I have a hard time finding words and often will be thinking one thing and say something entirely different. I'm beginning to wonder about myself..lol. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem so I'll know I'm not completely crazy.

Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Deb,

All Meds are different and effect everyone differently.

I share your misery. I am absolutely sure since I started on these drugs, some I tried and stopped, some I am still on, my right brain has no clue what the left brain is doing. No wait, the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing, now wiat, the right foot has no clue...Oh forget it!

My point is No, I don't think your crazy at all!

What's crazy is that we have to take all this stuff to begin with.

Hang in there and by all means, speak with your doctor if it's really getting to you. Maybe he can shed some light on which one is doing what. (I only tried Neurotin for a very short period of time. Not good for me. I have no idea if it has any lasting effects.)
  • Did your Dr. just increase your Tramadol? I know it causes slow reaction time but I'm always concerned especially with thinking and saying something different. I would mention it to your Dr. especially because you said in another post you were having headaches also especially if these are new symptoms your Dr. may not know about. Seeing how I'm an Urgent care Nurse it won't hurt to get it checked out to make sure everything's okay not to alarm you but that's what Urgent care and Er's are for. A Dr. can do a Neurological assessment and have other suggestions and other assessment tools. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Although I have overall good results with Lyrica, I do notice once in a while 'memory' issues come up, and too occasionally I get really sleepy after I take it. The mix of meds your on, it is possible. I'd run it by your doctor and see what they think. It could be one drug, or the mix? I hope it gets better woman! *hug*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi Charry. I'm on the same dose of Tramadol. These symptoms aren't really new. The headaches are a normal for me but after I take the Tramadol it gets worse. I need to take it or I certainly wouldn't you know? I've been having the headache all night, waking me up and the speech problems for a while. Now that I've said that though, it makes me think that maybe it is connected. I hadn't even considered that. :? Thanks for your concern Charry.

Debbie
    HaHa. It sounds like we have a lot in common!

I only took the neurontin for a few months (I think) and then Lyrica for about that long (I think). I took the Savella less that two weeks because it caused me to have chest pain. They said it was because of taking it and Wellbutrin together (who knows?).

I guess at least I won't go insane? ;)

Debbie
    I'm glad you're okay with the Lyrica. I've heard people either love it or hate it. Guess I'm a hater..lol.
    I did actually mention that I think I'm losing my mind/memory sometimes to my PM Dr. yesterday. She just laughed. I didn't specifically tell her about the trouble speaking though (I don't think LOL) I just hope this stuff doesn't continue. It's embarrassing at times. I try to speak slowly and still will say stuff that makes no sense. I don't even realize it at times but my son makes sure to let me know!

Take care,
    Debbie
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Yes,Yes, and Yes! I took different nerve drugs but had horrible side effects.I also took Cymbalta for about 2 yrs. The side effects kept building til I couldn't tolerate it anymore. It took a very long time to withdraw from that drug. I take Methadone now and Hydrocodone for breakthrough.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm getting dementia or alzheimer's. Or just going crazy!
    Good luck, Jim 8}
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I take welbutrin xl but only 150 mg.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yep tried lyrica for a while too. That didn't work for me either. After I walked in to one to many walls, couldn't find my mind and lost some vision I figured I should probably quit while I had only gained 10 pounds. Of course nothing beat the Neurotin. That made me SUICIDAL. No thanks, I'll pass.

Will we go insane? I think that's a relative term don't you? I'm OK, You're OK. It's everyone else around us that....

I do so hate living in a fog. I would go off every single one of these drugs tomorrow if I could and I imagine most everyone else here would say the same.
  • I am suprised you Doc has you on Tramadol and Wellbutrin XL. That combination is usually avoided entirely to avoid seizure and or Serotonin syndrome.
  • Wellbutrin does not contribute to Seratonin, I don't think. It works on Dopamine. But of course, always talk to your doctor about interactions!

Regarding feeling fuzzy, for me personally I think it's mainly in the topamax, which you're not taking. But who knows what meds have what side effects for each of us? I remember once I took one medication that made me start stuttering. That was a totally new one on the doctor who prescribed it. I'm all about odd side effects.

Right now I'm on so many meds I wonder what kind of effect they are having on me. Besides the pain and depression, I'm also on the meds for high blood pressure, reflux, and so on. It's a medicine cabinet in here.
  • Hehehe... My hubby lets me know if I have a "Lyrica moment" for sure! I then ask him, "I have Lyrica to blame when I forget something or can't remember the name of something. What's YOUR excuse??" Rofla!!!

I guess it's good when a loved one or friends tell us 'we forgot' something, else would we remember if we forgot something??? :)

Brenda
    I guess. Still sometimes I wish he'd forget to tell me...

Yep, my hubby is bad to forget things he doesn't want to remember. He has a selective memory. :D

Debbie
    I can understand you forgetting things since you're on those meds. If I took anything really potent I would be a basket case I guess. 8}
    I take 300mg Wellbutrin but I've taken it for years so I'm used to it. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just me getting old. I am 43 going on 90 after all. lol.

Hope you're doing good Jim.
    Debbie
    I thought that too at first. I wonder sometimes. It is known to increase the chance of seizures (that's what I read anyway). On one web site it says it is a major interaction between the two. I've taken them together for a long time though so I guess that's not a problem for me...not so far anyway.
    Thanks for the input.
    Have a good day.
    Debbie
  • Debbie,

lol!!! My hubby calls *his* memory lapses as "selective memory" too! (G) Is that tied to selective hearing too? :-)

Brenda
    Sorry but I admit I had to laugh when I read about the stuttering. I know it wasn't funny but I could just see myself having a side effect like that! If only some of these meds would have the side effect of weight loss (for my extra 20 lbs), energy, feel good kind of stuff. That's the kind I want...well no, I know all those are illegal! Besides, they'd probably kill me anyway. lol.

Thanks
    Debbie
  • Topamax does! I've lost 25 lbs already. Some days I forget to eat!

But not feel good energy. LOL!

Another side effect I've had from the anti-seizure meds is word replacement. I'll just randomly use the wrong word- like "kitchen" instead of "government" or something. My husband thinks that one is hilarious.

My Neurologist told me to never let anyone put me on Topomax because I have 'borderline' glaucoma. Maybe over that line by now since I haven't had my exam in 1 1/2 yrs. That was one reason I hoped the Savella would work for me cause my Dr said it was supposed to give you energy and weight loss.
    That's exactly how I do when talking! I'll use the wrong word like that! That's when my son laughs at me but I don't think it's funny. I'll wonder now where in the world did that come from??!! Since I'm not on any of those meds now I can't figure out what's causing it. Guess I can say whatever I want and blame it on my 'problem'. You think? lol.

Debbie
  • hiya deb,
    I have lumbar issues and have fibromyalga..i so know exactly what your talking about...its so embarassing for sure..
    Just did it today and like i was speaking and telling a story ,went off on something else and then just really didn't know what the heck i was saying...
    Its alot of the time....find it so hard to talk and i'm not on meds daily...when i get a flare up like i have had for pain i will take a norco and very rare i will take a flexeril....but so mine is not due to meds
    ...i have a neuro rheumo,ortho, pulmanary, gp,and so i have discuss with them and all agree its my fibro brain...
    I use to get upset but now i laugh and so does my family...i do so many things a day and lucky for them i dont get mixed up when i cook....
    Nothing rarley comes out right from my mouth
    ....you should definitly check with your doc
    take care
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • On a side note... the flexeril does a number on me.

Can't keep my eyes open for days with one 5mg dose.
  • i am with you flexeril puts me out ,and now after taking nerrottin yes rotten for a few months up to my surgery it was the only thing that worked it made me sick but it helped with the nerve pain. i stopped the day of surgery and dont ever want to take it again.
    now almost every pain med puts me out or in lala land. now i have been trying Tramadol i am not all the way out but i feel like you kinda loopy i think you say it gist right spongbob in my head ,some times i get the feeling that my brain is oozing out my ears
    Without a doubt :D

Debbie
    Sounds like you've got 'it' too. I'm surprised that my cooking isn't affected by it. Well, sometimes I do forget whether or not I've seasoned something and forget to fix a certain dish I'd planned on having.
    I feel like whatever I think gets lost somewhere between my brain and my mouth. lol.
    Hope you're having a good day.
    Debbie
    I hate taking it and only do when really necessary. I had to take 2 (10mg) yesterday and have already taken 2 today so I'm not doing a lot. Feel like I've got a hangover (not that I'd know what that feels like :D )

Debbie
    Do you think it's the Tramadol that makes you feel like that? I've taken it for so long that I just haven't considered it to be the reason.
    Brains oozing out...yep. My son tells me that the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead!

Debbie
  • since i am getting on the older side i have to ask how old are you? :D i would have never believed it but things are getting alittle "spongy" as i am getting a little older!LOL!! just a thought!Jenny :)
  • ya Tramadol i have stopped for a few days and sobered up its the same with vicodin but not as bad i can take 500mg and i am zoning out 1000mg and gone.
    ya older i do get old timers -funny -
  • I've been a fuzzy, forgetful, stuttering fool since I've been on Topamax. When I was first put on it, the dosage was 25 mg. I got lost going from my mother's house back to my own. We live a mile apart!!

I stuck with it though and I'm now at 300mg. I forget words a lot and sometimes even my actions get bungled. Like if the water is running in the kitchen sink, I'll go to turn it off but flip the light switch instead. That happens all the time. My family has gotten used to my speech pattern, thankfully. But I do find myself very leary of speaking to people I don't know or someone I'll run into at the grocery store.

Thank goodness for typing, because I might never get my point across :) My memory wasn't too hot to start off with, now it's just shot. Most times I can't even remember the thought I had prior to one I'm thinking. I write myself post-its, but sometimes forget where they are lol.

But for me, the pros outweigh the cons, so I'll stick with it. I lost a bunch of weight when I first started it, so that was a bonus. Now it's kind of leveled itself off.

Best wishes to you! and know that you are not alone :)
  • Your definately not the only one. I took Gabapentin(generic Neurontin) for a few weeks and had to stop. My brain felt fuzzier that normal and I felt like I was living in a fog. I still have what I call "brain farts" but I think it's probably from the pain(and pain meds). I have to put my daily pills together with only a couple days worth at a time, I forget if I've taken them or not. If I have small amounts it's easier to keep track and with my pain contract I can't mess it up!!
advertisement