Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS implant

ChickinardCChickinard Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hello
I had a Medtronic SCS implanted on 7/26/10.
I had rather extensive back surger in April of '09 and was expecting this surgery to be a piece of cake compared to that. It wasn't. I have had a lot of pain and soreness. Today is day 5. I am beginning to be able to move around better. I have a real hard time moving in the bed. Have others had this much pain with this surgery?
I have not used the stimulation yet. Reps said we would program after I recover from the surgery in a couple of weeks.
advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately, I had hard time after my implant surgery. I promise, it will get better, just have to give it some time.

Dave
  • Thanks Dave. It just helps to know that.
    I am getting better each day. Just have to be patient which is not exactly my strong suit. lol.
    I am looking forward to getting to use the stimulator. Trial was good...not great. Everyone said implant will work better.
  • You'll be fine once everything heals up. I hope your permanent implant works as well as the trial. It may take several programming sessions to get things headed in the right direction. Which manufacturer's implant do you have? What kind of leads? What are you trying to cover, legs, back, arms, neck?

Welcome to the club.

Dave
  • I am really doing way much better now. Still some soreness but oh so much better. I looked at my appt card though and I don't go back for post op until the 17th. :( I am anxious to get going with the SCS! I do understand that they want all the swelling to have subsided though.
    I have the Medtronics rechargeable implant. I think I have paddle leads (does that sound right?) I hope the real thing does better than the trial as the leads moved around a lot in the trial and caused a lot of stim in my feet and I couldn't walk good. My pain is in my right hip and down front of right leg, across lower back. I believe my pain is from nerve damage. I guess I waited too long for that back surgery to free up the compressed nerve
    I appreciate your encouragement. I am a 66 year old female but not quite ready to sit down for good yet!!
  • That explains the discomfort. They had to do a laminotomy to get the leads in place. You shouldn't be anywhere near as positional as you were during the trial. There is another member, BionicWoman, that has the paddle leads. She's very knowledgeable and hopefully she'll chime in soon. The two weeks will fly by before you know it.

Dave
  • Given that long a wait time to get back to the office, if you feel up to it I might call the rep and see if she can nudge the date up.

I know it would be frustrating for me if they had made me wait that long to turn it on! I have a precutaneous c-spine lead and they turned it on day of surgery. I know that with padddles it seems pretty common for them to wait a period before turning them on.

I'm surprised that even your follow up is that far away. Mine have always been 7-10 days after surgery, no matter what kind of surgery. Just to do a general wound check etc, if nothing else.

I also remember how frustrating it was/is to hear someone say they got faster service than I do, so, don't expect to change your doctors mind about the timeline.

Hope the time passes quickly for you and everything works well.

Note: I don't have feet leg problems, but if I have to turn one of my settings up high on a bad day, I have to stay seated and not move around, it gives me a bit of drop foot and blocks enough feeling in my foot it is hard and dangerous to walk.
    At least it works when sitting or laying down. Sometimes just a break is all that is needed to get on with things.
  • I think I may give a call to see if I can move things up a little. I got the post op appt when I had my pre op visit. I do want all swelling and sore to be gone so will wait till I think it is.
    Thanks for your responses and support. Great to know someone else "out there".
  • I had a rough time with the surgery too. Instead of getting out of the hospital the next day, I was in for 4, and didn't get out until the evening of the fourth day.

My implant was turned on the morning after surgery, and I have paddle leads as well. I'm kind of surprised that they are waiting so long to turn yours on.

Things will definitely improve though. I don't think many people would recognize me now, if they'd seen me limping along with my walker after the surgery!
  • Surgery was 2 weeks ago today. Starting yesterday I have this sharp weird pain, not where the incision is but next to it. I am praying something has not dislodged. Also thought it may be that all anesthesia has now worn off and I remember having some strange pains after my big surgery in '09. Should this be a big concern or just wait and see what surgeon says at post-op in another week?
  • Not sure what part of your system you are describing, whether its at the lead incision or the IPG pocket. After my revision, I had an area on my left shoulder that I could get "zingers" if I moved just right. At the same time, the same area was numb to the touch. My doc said he had a tough time getting enough tissue to properly bury my anchors, so this issue was a result of that. It has since calmed down and I have some of the sensation back. The trade off for me is well worth it. My anchors nearly eroded through my skin prior to the revision.

Stuff like this or ANY THING you have questions about, don't hesitate to ask your doc or your rep about. It takes a bit to get used to living with an implant. Some handle it okay, but others can have a tougher time. They are there to assist you through this transition in your life.

"C"
  • I Had my implant on 7/13/10, so I'm close to a month since the implant. Last night I started to get this sharp pain not on the incision close to it, zingers is a great discription. I had planned to go out this morning with a friend but these zingers has been annoying to say the least. Friends says to me why you just (suck it up) well my reply was all I can do is turn it up (my stimulator) and hope that the pain subside so that I can atleast get out of the bed. Of
    course she says okay but she just don't get it. Does anyone else have this problem with friends it's almost like they don't believe you ARE in pain. Any input on how to deal with friends is greatly appreciated. SLH
  • I must say that my friends and family have been nothing but supportive and attentive to every pain and feeling I have had. It would be hard if it were otherwise.
    How long have you had your stim turned on? Has it been hard to get it programmed to help your pain?
  • I with spoke my tech that evening of the 13th and i had it turned on with his guidance. I had it on the lower stimulation. I had my appt two weeks later a tech was there and we made adjustments and was shown how to charge the battery. So far it has improved my pain level accept these zingers which felt strange, I am still taking my meds in fact I have tried to not take a dosage only to realize that I still needed it. I am really hoping for a big percentage of covery to help me reduce the meds.
  • I'm not sure what "zingers" are. I am having this strange hard, sharp pain just left of my incision and it kind of goes around to my side. If I am lying down or sitting leaning back I don't have it but if I sit straight up like in a straight back chair, or stand up I do. It is disconcerting.
    I hope you get some relief SLH.
  • An easy way to determine whether or not it is an issue of the SCS zapping you or not, would be to shut the SCS off and duplicate the movement that normally causes the zingers. That way you can tell whether or not it is the system or your body

"C"
  • hagland c, SCS has not been turned on yet so it is not that. Thanks.
    Talked to rep today. He said don't worry about it. Doc will take a look when I go on the 19th for post-op.
  • I had stabbing pain around a rib with the stim. off during the trial and just after the surgery. I had to watch how I sat, etc. It DID go away after a bit, and I think it was just a nerve that got irritated during the placement.

However, I have ongoing 'zingers' that HURT with the SCS on. It's prevented me from being able to use it at work (I'm an ICU nurse) and the pain is preventing me from working without it. I don't use it much because of those 'shocks', 'zingers' or whatever you want to call it. I'm very disappointed as I was told this wouldn't happen after a couple of months and I had mine place in April. I don't think the programmers are being very aggressive either. I have only two programs, and they're nearly the same. I get muscle spasms from the stim, too.
advertisement