Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What type scans can you have

tknow1978ttknow1978 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
If you have fusion hardware, does this prevent you from having any types of radiologic scans? Specificaly wondering about dexascans. Just curious, I don't need any scans right now, but will in the future.

• I don't know what a dexascan is, but you can still have MRI's, CT's, X-rays without a problem. For the MRI, most will have you scanned with a contrast material since the metal does interfere with the scan otherwise. I hope that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks, a dexascan is similar to a traditional x-ray, but more. It is used to detect osteopenia and osteoporosis. Sometimes also called a bone scan or bone density scan.
  • Thanks very much, *I* learned something new today thanks to you! Thanks!!! :-) If it's a type of x-ray they can probably still do them on you is *my* guess. Also too, before you have any scans as you may know, if metal is an issue, they will ask you of any metal, and then let you know. But from what I've had so far, no problems. Thanks again!! :)

Humm...(thinking)...nearing 50 and I've never been sent for one - interesting. I might ask my GP if that is something I should undergo? See, ya got me thinking now! :)

• I'd never heard of it either. I did a search and found a website by the manufacturer and found out what it was for the first time tonight as well. Never too old to learn new things.

• Yes Ma'am!! I just heard "bone density" scan, but never heard the other term. I love learning new things of course! :) I will be getting with my GP shortly for scrip renewals, but also have a couple of other GP like stuff looked at. I am really thinking of getting my bone density checked now. Hummm.. Hehe, maybe I don't want to know? Yeah, more bad news right! Huh!! No seriously, I think at my age and with what all is going on, this might be a good thing (good or bad result) to find out. :) Thanks C, appreciate. *hug*

• Dexascan is a new term to me too. I had a bone scan years ago because I was getting a lot of back pain and my mother has osteoporosis. Everything was fine.

Now I think it must have been my back problems causing the pain. I can't believe how many years of pain it took before I realised that there was something wrong with my back! (about 30 years!) I just kept thinking that I had overdone it or slept awkwardly. I always assumed that everyone got the various aches, pains and tingles that I was experiencing. It was only when my pain was extreme that I went to the doctor to find out what was going on.

Thanks tknow, for teaching us something new. :-)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I've had my MRI's done without contrast and it's worked fine. Depends on what they are looking for as to whether they may use contrast. Also, I've found one of the major radiology facilities here in Phoenix has some newer stronger MRI machines. So when I call to schedule they have some "satellite" facilities I can't go to for MRI.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos