Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

weird rash,could have checked out

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
last week i got a rash on my legs, half day later it was on my chest and back next day it was all over --at first i though it was some thing i ate -i have got a rash from cherry's before ,so i stopped all meds and took benadrill. i flet sick for a couple days sleep a lot. rash went away and my skin started flaking off like a snake loosing its skin ,so my wife made me go to the dr the rash was gone she say i should have came in sooner so she sent me to a skin doc ,he say i should have went to a hospital that i prob had a reaction to the lidorum patches i was using and i should never use it again and since the rash was gone he would not put me in the hospital today ,o boy, and if i ever see slightest sing of the rash go to the hospital right then.-crap- he say i had slight look at steven johnson syndrome-and there is about a 30% mortality rate with a full blown case -OMG CRAP-i am really bummed out the patches wore working so well i was finely getting some pain relief. now frekin out at every itch and bump ,back pain is back with a vengeance, i am really really getting sick of this roller coaster ride

• John,

I've had a number of surgeries over the years, but on this last one (no laughing okay?) about 4 days after surgery, both of my feet completely peeled! I then went for like 4 months with 'hives' so bad I looked diseased coming out of the shower! They would go away in like 15 minutes, but the hives were nasty looking! For the feet, I have no answers, but my guess on the hives is that maybe there is a coating on the plates that my body didn't like?

Rashes for me on the other hand, I've found occur within like 10 minutes after ingesting something I am now allergic too. Kiwi was my last rash 101 - never itched so bad! The Kiwi apparently is a related allergy known for those of us with Latex allergies! grrr... I now go to the doctor when I have 'sudden' rashes. My mindset use to be, "if I had swelling in my throat or breathing issues...now I go for the rash, as that can be step one to a major (in future) allergic reaction. I hope you just had a fluke, but please don't take any chances, okay? Just my thoughts... :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi John,
    hope things are going better for you. Could you explain your rash especially the flaking of the skin. I get that quite often, as you said almost like a snake shedding it's skin. It's not so much a rash for me just very peely skin. I keep assuming I have dry skin so I apply lots of moisturizers but they really don't help. This has been going on for quite some time. Annoying but never thought to ask a dr about it. Just keep flaking away.
    Thanks for any input. Please PM me if you want.
    Appreciate it.
  • the skin doc say that the rash lasted so long that it prob was not from food allergy . and it did come on when i was hot and sweaty .and the rash looked like heat rash but did not go away .
    he was surprised i did not have a sore throat,high fever, and a bad pain some wear, -ecp my usual back and leg foot, he was real concerned that it did not itch much and i had slight pain or stiffness in my right neck chest area ,he kept looking at me like i was nuts for not going to the doc sooner -i did not feel good enough to go to the doc- it did zap all the energy i had and i could not stay a wake.
    Spunky-i hardly ever get dry skin or flaky even with sunburn.doc say something like the toxic rash kinda kills and drys the skin -i did not really under stand what he said i was still freaking out about S.J.S.
    it look like to me that there are so many different kinds of skin conditions that the only way to tell what is going on is to go to a good skin doc
  • John,

Howdy! So the doctor still doesn't know what the cause is? It took them over a year to figure out my Latex allergy! The kicker? I was in law enforcement, and we get tested yearly for the nasty stuff we might get dealing with the ills of society. They put a clear Latex band-aide over my injection site, and within 5 minutes I had blisters under and around it!

I told the Dermatologist, and he confirmed 'by contact' I was now allergic, not sensitive, but allergic to Latex! I had a surgery (with signs over my bed - NO LATEX), and a nurse grabbed my wrist for a blood sample...within minutes I had blisters where her thumb and fingers were on my wrist! Unfortunately, there isn't a Rast test for Latex, instead they go on contact reaction!

Since he has ruled out food, is he going to look at your medications, exposures to daily things, pets, fleas etc.? I hope you find out what it is, as some allergies get worse with each exposure. Please let us know what you find out. Support *HUG* John!!

• not 100% i was taking 3 new meds at the time i stopped all. when the rash was gone i started back on the tramadol with no prob (yet)the doc say i could in about 30 days try one of the patches and see witch one it is but he thinks i would be pushing my luck ,he thinks my feet and hand stiffness was swelling and my neck,chest stiffness, pain, was my neck swelling ,he looked at my eys that wore yellow ,and my tong was wight.he say the only thing was no fever. witch i could of had and did not no it i did not sweat after the 2nd day .and my urine was dark for 3 days .he was sure it was the meds and prob the lidorum patch prob not the lidocane but the adhesive that is in it. he has seen a lot of people with the same reaction but usually worse.(steven johnson syndrome)and the only way to tell for sure was when,or have, the rash is to do blood test and skin sample of rash area . but if i get it again he say blood test for sure as soon as possible and i will want to be in a hospital so they can give something for the symptoms witch will be worse and come on faster .he was way confident in what he was saying and i mite not want to no for sure. kinda like playing with fire and holding a gas can .but on the other hand the patch worked so well. it was working and now ??
    Epidural steroid injection? after this reaction ? not looking good i am sick just thinking about it
  • John,

I've had reactions to various drugs over the years as well. Some drugs and *I* get along if that drug is used all by itself, other times I have problems when there is another medication added to the mix. At least as it looks now, your reactions have been arrested, and now they are watching to be sure you stay that way.

Unfortunately you'll probably join many of us that look at any new drug as a possible allergy problem. I now don't start a new medication unless the hubby is home. This way if there is a problem, he is here. If I have reactions, it's usually by the third dose. :)

• ya i am not looking forward to trying a new drug . the surg doc say i could try a Epidural but it prob would only be a temp re leaf .if it worked at all and after this if i had a bad reaction to it you cant just suck it out. (and i hate needles) doc say fusion or 2 to 5 years to heal if it will. i was hoping to find a drug to help and maybe see if it would heal on it own(dreaming) or just do it (fusion)and see what i end up with .'
    allergic to the hardware (sounds like my luck)i had not even though about that .it had to be a very freaky feeling knowing you had something attached to your spine that your body relay did not like
  • Good morning John,

Epidurals didn't work for me unfortunately. I've had them for my neck and shoulder, and zip for helping. I hope you find they help. I am looking at a revision on my neck (yummy), and of course probably more drugs at least in the temporary sense. If I haven't had them in the past, I will do the hubby home for the first 3 doses mode! (G)

I still suspect that I had a reaction to my last fusion hardware. I am guessing here okay? I am guessing there is a coating on the metal that might break down as your body processes it. I had hives for almost 4 months after my last surgery! I know it wasn't food, and it wasn't drugs, nor (for instance) anything around the house or yard. If it wasn't the hardware, I am totally clueless as to what caused it - I hate it!!

Today my hubby finally convinced me to get a Tempur-pedic bed with the adjustable head and feet (like a hospital bed). While in there, my hand 'brushed' past a Sealy mattress, and in less than five minutes I had a rash on my ring and pinkie fingers! I then found out from the clerk - Latex! Grrrrr... You just never know sometimes when you will encounter items you are allergic too! I knew about that allergy, but wasn't educated on which companies use Latex in their mattress construction! :)

This discussion has been closed.