Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to do when you just cant take it anymore

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Well, here I am again. As many of you know I have gone threw all kinds of pain in my back and now neck which is a shock for years.

I have had many too many injections, when I could not get anymore injections ie. eperderia, facet injections, nerve blocks, I would go to another PM DR. and not tell him that I had any shots just to get out of pain even for one day. That is how desperate I was. That finally got to me and who knows if I did worse damage???

Now I have come to the point of surgery. Went to 2 diferent Spine nuro. surgons and both say I need a 3 level fusion for my neck and lower back. I did not ask lots of questions which I should have I just was like ok if this will help me than I will get it done. The hardware freaks me out tho being honest here.

Well, my nuro. surgon told me that the RA's did not work (that is the nerve burns) but their is a Rhizotomy which he can try for my lower spine the neck he cant do that due to a death reported. I said ok I went in 5 weeks ago some of you may remember my posting on this.

I ended up in ICU and woke up a day and a half later due to meds. ended up having seziures which I have never had in my life. It was a bad thing. Than woke up and could not move my left arm come to find out after the mri I tore my tendon. Maybe from them moving me maybe from the violent seizures????

I did go back this last fri. tho my Dr. is so so sweet and good from what I have been told. He felt the S1 needed to get done. This rhizotomy for those who do not know what it is it is only done by a nuro surgon. The Dr. makes about a 1/2 cut on each area he is doing and goes in with a scope to see the nerves and cuts the one that causes the pain. THe RA nerve burn is done by a PM Dr. and he or she cant see the nerves being burned they just hope the nerves are where they are supposed to be.

Well, now I am in PAIN same if now worse than before. I have my post op appt. on the 17th Sat. I dont know what to do????????????????? I am so tired of this pain. I read posts on fusions and their is no promise from the Dr. this will help. This is what my Dr. told me.

I also read about a disc replacement. Maybe I could do that instead?? I need to talk with the Dr.

I have 5 disc herniations/protusions in my back 3in my neck spony all thru ostroarthritis from my cervical to my lower spine on it goes. What do you all do for the pain??? I take pain meds, I use my tens unit, I use heat, I use ice I am so feed up with all this. I do not know how this happend to me.

Sorry so long I am needing to vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hurt. I do tho do things so I am not like on my back and not walking, tho my quality of life sucks big time.

Im now in worse shape because if I was to have the fusion I would need my hubbie to pick up on the money issue and last week he only worked 14hours and the company is thinking of laying him off. So, now i dont even know how I could have surgery??????????? If its not one thing its another. I have a home and bills like most humans do. So, what do I do. Any info will really help me. THX

• I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it and hope your Dr. has more answers for you on the 17th and hope you can call him if you need some help for your pain. It sounds like a painful procedure to me. Don't give up hope and for me just distracting myself be it playing a game, listening to music or going for a walk even though it feels uncomfortable and ice afterwards. Sometimes I buy a treat like chocolate milk or some reward for pushing myself to exercise. It does feel beneficial journaling how you feel and getting some validation for how you feel. I hope you have less pain tomorrow and don't feel so overwhelmed. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Surgery is one of those things in life while it is very scary to think of it can have it's rewards. But you also need to be aware of the risk that go with surgery of any kind at all. Many know I have had multiple cervical spine surgeries probably way to many, but then again I needed to get some relief. When your quality of life is so distrupted and and that is all you can think of is the time in my eyes for surgery. But surgery is a very personal choice and no one can tell you wether to have it or not. Those choices need to be made between you and your surgeon. I think you have to be prepared to have surgery and prepared for the slow go in recovery as well. Now the one thing I can say is I have seen many members come here have surgery and do rather well and are out living happy busy normal lives. Yes there are the small few that it didn't work so well, myself included. But at the end of the day and I happy I did it yes. I think you need to list all your questions concerns and what not and sit down with the surgeon and have a good one on one with him or her about doing the surgery. Maybe between the two of you, you can get to the real fears you are having and he will have some answers for you to help.

But whatever you do just get informed so that you can find some relief and put some of this in your past. AS always vent away as that is what we are here for and always understand. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
  • Thx for the words of kindness. I had a bad Day on top of all this I got into a car wreck yesterday and it was not my fault. The ins. company said it is a he said she said. I got thrown to the front very fast and my back and neck well I dont know what the heck if anything worse happend. Just my luck as of now. I will keep you updated I have to really talk to my Dr. I cant live like this everyday. Surgery seems to be a gamble but, when you live like this it seems like the pay off would be good to go forth on the fusion.
  • ellin,

I am very sorry to haer of the pain your spine is causing. My prayers are with you. All good advice above. As far as the operation goes, most have an 80% success rate. Meaning you will be better off than before. Key is a very good surgeon. I prefer an orthopedic, fellowship trained one. My surgery details are below and at 4 months I am doing great. The first month was h--l and not so great for a month or so after that. I also had lots of pain for a year before surgery and at times wanted to do it myself right then.

I talk to a lot of people thru my work, customers, and all have had good outcomes, including the neck surgeries. You and your Dr, whoever, need to be 100% sure exactly what is causing the pain. Mine was not that hard since only a one level fusion was needed.

I understand the financial issues and can't advise you on that. But, with with proper diagnosis and a very good Dr you chances for relief are very good.

Good Luck,