Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Perceptions change?

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
I'm watching "America's Funniest Videos" and as many of you know, a lot of the 'funnies' are everyday people doing stupid things. Perception change - hence the title. Some of these "crashing" catastrophes, instead of laughing like most of those who view these videos, I see "future spineys"!!! Is it just me, or do some of you all view TV in a different way?

The trampoline mishaps make me cringe the most, next is antics like when 'dad' swings his kid around by their feet, and the kid crashes into a wall, or computer etc., followed right on that the slip and slide crashes. Sometimes when the spiney perception's head is reared, I don't see the humor as I use to. Anyone else?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Brenda, I really never realized it until I read your post, but yes, I think about that all the time when I see people doing stuff, usually stupid stuff. I also notice when people are walking oddly and also have to hold my tongue when I see someone in a store or someplace that I don't know who has a brace on. I want to ask them if they have spine problems. (I did on one occasion in the park when a little lady wanted to bend down to pet Wally but told him she couldn't do it. She had been walking really slow and I asked her if she had lumbar surger and at her young age, early 20s, she's had three. I wanted to talk to her more, but only mentioned SH, talked a bit then we both moved on.)

Today, when Wally and I were in the park, we came across a friend of his we hadn't seen in a while, Howie and his dad (funny how I always know the dogs' names but not the parents'). Howie is a big black lab that fun loving and young. When I was talking to his dad about him, the dad said that Howie has neck problems and they don't know what to do about it. He believes it comes from walking him with a neck collar instead of a harness, and he's tried acupuncure, massage and it's come down to pain meds, but he's still searching for an answer to his poor doggie's neck problems.

Interesting - I look at it in not only terms of humans, but animals as well. My perception has changed completely, like you. I've even gotten bad sometimes at preaching to friends about how they sit or the way they do things. I try to hold my tongue, but it's not easy because I'm a spiney and would hate to see another join the club.

• Yeah Cath, for some reason it struck me more consciously than normal watching that show. I actually at times (many) made an audible "ouch, future spiney there!" Now my hubby says it once and a while! (G)

As for pets, yes I actually do think of them as well. I pick on my Chausie (Oscar) because he has these enormous stretches when he yawns. So I pick on him and say "sure show off your wonderful spine, you brat!" Then he gets a back scratch! Same as you as well with other people in public.

My hubby and I where out to dinner at a local fish joint when a lady in the table next to us asked me out of the blue if I had spine surgery or did I have thyroid surgery! I told her a brief on my surgeries. She then lifted up her ponytail and turned the back of her neck to me. She was fused C3-8 from the back! Wow!!

If I am having a 'almost normal day' and I see someone that has obvious medical limitations, I tend to try and help more - probably than I had in the past. It does change the 'outside' us as well huh? Perception changes are something huh? :) Thanks for sharing Cathie. *hug*

• I notice it everywhere, with pets and people alike :) How funny is that? When I see people on TV doing stunts or something with the potential to get hurt, I cringe. At other times I see people on TV or anywhere, running or playing ball and it gets me to thinking, "Did I ever do that", and if so it seems like a million years ago.

My children, I'm sure, are very tired of me correcting their posture or fussing when the lift something wrong. I know that my spine problems started as a child and I can't imagine having to watch them go through all of this when they're my age. So I'll keep preaching until they get it. That's part of my parental job description :)

• Often while watching tv I see people doing things that make me want to tell them to mind their back. Your right Brenda, those shows that are supposed to be funny, just make me squirm for them!

In life, I do sometimes tell people to be careful of their back when I see them lifting or bending in a way that looks very stressful on their spine.

Sometimes while out walking, I see people much older than me out jogging. I have never felt like jogging in my life, but now look on longingly!!

• I'm kind of that way too. I was a gymnast for 11 years as a kid, and when the Olympics come on, I of course watch gymnastics, and I of course "flash back" to my youth. Of course in fairness to my spine, at this stage (age) of my life, I still wouldn't be doing any gymnastics, but I just love to watch and remember what 'flexibility' looked like! (G)

Something that I thought about after watching the show, is how many of those people *really* did get hurt? I mean, there was one girl who tried to jump on a hammock, it rotated and dropped her across the support bar underneath it. The bar was big enough that it could have easily broken her back, but of course, the video stops as she starts to move! I just really wonder how many do get hurt in the name of '15 minutes of fame?' Dang, this stuff sure takes the fun out of what use to be innocent humor! Arrghhh! :)

• What's funny Jellyhall, is I think the squirming and my un-commanded "ouch!" or "he might be joining the spiney club" is what brought this to the front of my thinking! I mean really, who squirms with funny stuff on TV right?

Never been a jogger here either - just ran when needed. I look on with pride (and a snip of jealousy) when I see older people do things such as rock climbing, sky diving etc. I use to get sad in that I know much of that activity is done for me, but now I just smile at the enjoyment they are having. :) I just think more of the worse when they fall on their butts, backs, necks.... *shrug*

• I love to watch that show with my kids but sometimes I just cringe at what people do. Some of it is so dangerous. There's a lot of people that are lucky they are not paralized or have brain damage. Our situations definately make us view the world a little differently. My 9 year old daughter is a work horse and she helps my husband out a lot since I'm hurt. I am constantly talking to her about how to lift with her legs to protect her back. I'm trying to instill some good habits now because I do worry that my kiddos will have a back like mine. Lift with your legs...life with your legs....I'm sure she'll get tired of hearing that!!
  • Rwill,

You're right, we do look at these shows differently. I don't have kids, but I can fully understand where you and Stacey try to keep them and their posture/activities in check for sure!

Did you all see on the news that the 'unbreakable' Stallone just joined the spiney club doing a fight scene? From the quick peek they gave of his MRI, looks like he broke his neck at the C5/6 level. He had some bone removed and was fused. :) Watch, he-man that he is, he will try to keep doing stunts, and do REAL damage if you know what I mean!!

• I can't watch that show anymore. I also cringe at things especially potential spine injuries. The kid falls off the trampoline and bounces off the bushes into the kiddie pool on his head. oww. I don't think that's funny at all. And these days there are inexpensive trampolines with net protectors around it. I think they video tape some events just to get on TV! I don't have children either but I have my nieces and cousin's children that I'm close to and stress safety when riding a bike or no diving in unknown waters. I find just gags and Candid camera much more entertaining and no risk of injury. And of course still like to watch Olympic sports even if there's a risk also you can't stop living but nix that comedy show. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • ...that show "Wipeout"? How many times do you see the way they hit something (it's inevitable) and you see their back bend backwards in a way that just makes you cringe. I do watch that show because it's fun, but I do worry about them and if they'll regret it later.

Then there's the show "Minute to Win It". Some of the things they do are the kinds of things I used to be able to do but now it just looks like it hurts.

I don't long for the good 'ol days anymore. As I've aged, before my spine problems, I had already fulfilled most of my daring dream stunts - river rafting, hot-air ballooning (although I'd do that again in a heartbeat), bungee jumping, tae kwon do, etc. - and in my "old" age, I've settled down and just want my house, my puppy, my hubby and to be able to afford what few things we like to do. Maybe some of that came with the little bit of my life that's lost when I loose someone I loved in my life, family members and friends.

I am very lucky, though, that I'm still able to golf, albeit only 9 holes at a time, but at least I can do that. We finally got our best friends to get back into it so we always have fun with the four of us getting out on the course. It's also a great excuse to have a cooler full of beer on a warm day.

• Nodding, I do agree, as I feel much of these antics are just to get that 15 minutes of fame! Sad, as I am pretty sure some of those 'falls' DO cause injury - but of course, we will never know! The trampoline to me is the MOST dangerous piece of 'entertainment' equipment one can buy! Years ago my hubby wanted to get one, I put my size 5 foot down on that one! (G)

Yeah the kids crashing into the bushes, streams, ends of rubber pools. A few of them even get bent completely backwards - you can't tell me they didn't just put themselves at high risk there? And who is taking the video most times, the parents!! Then of course, there is UTube! Argh! I too may have to take the show off my viewing list. :)

• Cath,

I just watched "Wipeout" for the first time last week! Yeah, OWWW can be an understatement! And most of these players are adults, not spongy and flexible kids! I guess I can watch that show for now because it seems that they do 'adult proof' most of the challenges as much as possible. :) That show is cool!

Aaah, Minute to Win it! I enjoy that show immensely. My hubby even likes it, and he isn't usually 'into' shows like that. I guess the appeal there is it is games with everyday things around the house. The one that my neck hates to watch is the one with the pediometers on the head, and the contestant has to get like 500 'steps' in a minute. I see a 'normal' neck screaming on that one! (G) I would guess that there is a form you sign, and or the need for medical clearance for these shows. Of course AFV has no control, as folks send their videos in, but the contestant types...I would bet they are screened...or at least I hope they are. :)

Like you Cath, I don't long for the good ole days anymore either. I too pretty much did all the things I wanted as they came up, so not really missing out there. My hubby and I are renting an RV in 3 weeks for a 4 day "lets try this mode of travel" test. If it works, we will be buying one. We are already coming up with things to do on our 'stay-cation' as we will be within 300 miles of home for this whole trip. Like you said, we are just adjusting to our life's changes to new things we enjoy. :)

• Oh Wipeout is tortuous to watch! but sadly hilarious in some odd way. How much can one person put themselves through? Adrenaline junkies no doubt.

I was at a birthday party earlier this summer for my 12 year old neice and her 50 year old aunt. There was quite a mix of ages because of the two parties. We were under a huge pavillion and a woman went to sit down in a lawn chair and her grandchild pulled it out from under her. I got nauseous. She kind of laughed it off but I could tell that she'd hurt herself. Two things went through my mind; 1-She's gonna hurt like heck in the morning 2-That would be one SORRY little kid!
    Even my kids (with their own lingo) said "Oh, that is so not cool".

My kids have gotten the speech so many times that it's permanently drilled into their heads. Even before my spine got as bad as it is now, I can remember preaching "use your legs!". When I first became a nurse I worked in a poorly staffed nursing home for a couple of years. I would have blown my back long ago had it not been for the constant little birdie whispering in my ear to use my legs.

Kinda makes you want to get a bumper sticker doesn't it? LOL. ~USE YOUR LEGS OR RISK WALKING LIKE ME~

• Stacey,

Part of the problem is kids are "immortal" and they know it...NOT...but to them "it won't happen to them", and too they really don't always see antics like the 'chair pulling' can really hurt somebody. I think to be fair to them, again TV has that sort of misbehaving action all the time! To the kids, it is just funny!

Similar to us being more cognizant of people with disabilities, most who haven't had some experience with it that affects them directly, they either ignore the person in the wheel chair, or using a walker, or made snide remarks! Others realize said person is restricted, and does offer help (open doors, get that item off the 3rd shelf etc.). Each person's reality is their perception sadly...

Oh, and if I did what those kids did, I wouldn't have been able to sit for a week! (G)

• At least the adults are wearing protective pads and a helmet. Another show that was good where there's different shapes they have to mold their body into or they fall in the water called 'Hole in the Wall.' I think it's funny and laughed as I try to figure out how they're going to fit their bodies in the shape of the wall as it comes at them.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I don't think I've ever seen that show. It does sound interesting though! Did people ever get stuck? If so, I bet that was a hoot to watch them try to get out of it! :)

• My son and I watch that show and we don't laugh at the kids getting hurt....some stupid parents keep filming, while I scream at the tv drop the camera and go get the kids stupid...

I don't find the people slamming into things so funny either but I do find the drunk stupid people falling and such very funny..

but all in all if I made of video of all my stupid falls and such I would laugh at me also...

good thread brenda
    how ya been...hope to catch up soon in chat
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Hehehehe!!! Yeppers, couldn't agree more with ya on that one! I like the wedding drunk videos the best! (G) You're like me, "Yo parent, your kid might be hurt okay? Drop the camera and check them!!" If you go on UTube, wow do you see lots of this, and the voices sometimes heard in the background are adult - probably the parent?

Chat's been funny Mary in that I've popped on, and no one is there! Sniff... I will hopefully find you in there when I am on - miss chatting with ya woman! *HUGZ* back to ya!! :-)