Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wanna_sammichwwanna_sammich Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone here, I am new to spine-health but not new to this back pain stuff. Here it goes..I am very healthy 23 year old female. I have never had any health issues or surgeries of any kind. I got in an auto accident back in Oct. of 2009, only going 20mph and I have had back and leg pain ever since with terrible muscle spasms.

I saw my reg doctor first and he ordered and MRI in Nov. of 09, the report said I had an annular tear with bulged disc L4-L5. 3 months of Physical Therapy was ordered with Soma 300 and Lortab 7.5 prescribed. (The meds made me comfortable enough to under go hard biofreeze massages and PT workouts. It def took the edge off) Doc said I would heal over time, it would just take awhile. I was reffered to and orthopaedic doc, who then got me and epidural injection because I showed no signs of improvement. He then told me I had a herniated dic, and reffered me to a Neuro Surgeon when I showed no relief after the injection. He prescribed me Zanaflex 4mg and Vicoprophen 7.5. (Again, these meds didn't take the pain completly away, but took the edge off enough to get up out of bed in the morning)Neuro guy didn't think I was a surgery candidate and that I didn't have a herniated disc, weird.

He reffered me over to a rehab/pain managemnt doc. This new guy completely evaluated me, and came to the conclusion that I have facet joint problems and it isn't my disc that is causing all my pain and spasms. More phys ther was ordered, and some Relafen 500mg and Zanaflex 4mg. Physical therapist says now that b/c of my facet joint issues, it is making me walk differently and resulted in my pelvis tilting. So he is working on getting that back to normal, he says. It is a very painful experience, he massages my hip bones very hard and pushes them down (like he's moving my pelvis) while i lay on back w/ knees bent.

I have only done this new physical therapy twice and I feel like I got hit by a car all over again. It's very painful but I do feel like it may work? Anywhoo, the Relafen hasn't been helping me AT ALL so I called them about it and they prescribed some Voltaren 74mg, its been 5 days and IT ISN'T helping me either!! I am absolutly miserable and can barely get out of bed in the AM. I think that it sucks that I have to keep calling this dr to get some meds that actually work. And he doesn't even get me any that DO work. I look back now and see that the meds I had before WERE helping me way more than just an anti-inflammatory med. I just don't know what to do, any advice is helpful. I go back to see him on 8/10/10, but I just don't think I can wait that long.

Sorry so long I am just so frustrated I could pull mine and this dr's hair out!

• This is a really common complaint, but really the only thing you can do is what you are doing- call the doctor and tell them what you are telling us, that your pain level is at an unbearable level. You might want to discuss the pain of the physical therapy with him as well.
  • Yes i did call the doctor and went in today. He didn't really talk to me very much. I hate that. He gave me some tramadol to take with the zanaflex. He doesn't seem to think that I am having real "back problems". I am just going back to my first doctor's pain managment guy that he referred me to in the first place.
  • Going to a different doctor is something to try, but be aware that "doctor shopping" among pain doctors is frowned upon.

Tramadol is actually a pretty good medication- I managed with tylenol and tramadol and the occasional vicodin for quite a while despite severe issues. Most doctors will try it first to see if it works before going to narcotics, as it is not a controlled substance so is much easier to use.

Turning your nose up at more conservative medical options is going to look like medication seeking. You need to try the conservative medications and see if they help, and if they don't just be honest- this isn't helping, I am still having pain.

Honestly, I won't say that you won't find a PM doctor who will prescribe you narcotics right away, but I think that it's likely that most of them will start with the baby meds and work their way up until they find the lowest med that will work for you. That's standard of practice, rather than just blasting you with narcotics and risk overmedicating you.

It is hard to be in pain, but be patient. Finding the right combination of medications to properly treat your pain generally takes a little while.
  • As I PM'ed you,really suggest reading about kosmodisk.
    Please visit .....

URL's Removed

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Dave
  • Wanna did you talk to your PM about what the PT is doing now? I would also talk to the PT about the increased pain that you feel is coming from the treatments. Sometimes it has to hurt to get better but sometimes when it hurts it means something is wrong.

If you aren't already doing so, start a pain log. If you can go into a doctor with a written log showing what meds you are taking and what you are feeling it will mean so much more. When you just say "I don't think this is working" the doctors tend to not listen as much.
  • Thanks a lot for your comments. I really appreciated this. Happy and Kris, I totally agree with the whole "doctor shopping" thing. I don't want to get into any kind of trouble! I understand about prescribing other medicines first before trying narcotics, too. And I agree, if the tramadol will help that is.

I know this is a very common issue and I have friends who have been to 20 different doctors in a year for back pain (a lot of diff issues) so i feel lucky ive only seen a few. I am trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and try everything he has given me(relafen,voltaren).

I did explain to him about the PT and how hard it was, lol. And I told him that I thought maybe the Therapist was just moving some things around in there that NEED to be moved, ya know? And he didn't think that they Therapist was over-working me or anything so I will continue. I have done the PT thing before for a few months and I know that in most cases, you WILL get sore before you get better. It's all apart of the therapy. And I'm ok with that, as long as I am "comfortable" while doing it.

I did tell the Therapist, too, about my increased pain and he wasn't one bit remorseful. Neither were. (Doc or Therapist) It's hard because I am a really nice person and most doctors (that I've been to) are not. These guys (therapist and doc) are worse. They act like they really don't give hoot, in a VERY rude way. That is why I've considered going back to my original PM doc that I was reffered to. The comment above was fresh out of the appt with my doc so I was a lil heated.

All in all, I will wait it out. Do my part, make a pain log, and see what happens. Again, sorry so long! Thanks