Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Preparing for surgery/Newbie

healingselfhhealingself Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sa`ra and I feel like I am entering the mouth of a giant~ August 11th I am having a spinal fusion (L4-5)with decompression. First surgery for me. I have had epidural blocks times 8 which were partially helpful~completely stopped my pain for weeks, pain meds, PT, on and on. Have tried every natural method I can find with some relief.
I feel sad and alone at this point although intellectually I know that I am not alone. So....thank you for allowing me to share my process.
Good to meet all of you and Blessings to each of us.

• Welcome to Spine Health. One thing that you might find helpful, is the list of post op must haves. It certainly helps jog the mind to think of things we normally won't until faced with the situation. You can find it at http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

You don't need to feel sad and alone. We are a community of over 11,000 folks who all understand your pain and fears. Since we span the globe, there is generally someone around to answer your post within a few short hours. Most days you can also find someone hanging out in the chat room.

Kindest Regards,

• I had a very similar surgery on 19th March.
    I was very scared and tried to avoid it for over 2 years, but in the end I realised that things were getting worse and the surgeon told me I would end up in a wheelchair. That helped me decided to go ahead!!

I am so glad that I did. My awful sciatic pain has gone and I am able to get back to my life.
    I hope to return to work at the beginning of September.

A lot of us say that the anticipation of the surgery is worse than the surgery.
    Once you are on this side of surgery, you can just focus of the healing and recovery. It is a long and at times, difficult journey, but well worth it once you start to get the relief from your pain.

Do ask any other questions that you may have. There are a lot of friendly people here who will be glad to try and help you, and we will certainly be here to support you through your recovery. :-)

• Just stopping by to say hello Sa'ra. Best of luck to you in your future surgery. This site has been invaluable to me personally. It's a great place to come and share our experiences and just talk sometimes.

Again, best of luck to you in your spinal journey! :)
  • Been there...have a similar story. Had my PLIF L4/L5 fusion May 19th and am happily on the other side of pain these days. Just stopped taking the pain meds @ about 10 weeks and started driving @ 6 weeks. I do have days of fatigue, but nothing like the pain before. Today was a perfect day for me, I took my soon to be junior in high school to see a local college. I walked and stood for 2 hours with no pain. Whooppie. Anyway...would I do it again.....YES. But I think it was very important to try every conservative option first and that the whole deal is a journey. So happy I had the surgery, my family is very relieved too. Good luck, prayers for you. Best, mel v. :O)
  • Welcome to Spine Health as you will learn it is a great place for information and for support. Sorry that you are having to be fused I will pray that it works well for you. Just wanted to say hello and welcome. Take care, Renea'
  • I had a similar surgery last year - mine was done from the front and is successful.

It's normal to feel sad and anxious especially after you've tried everything to help yourself. I was petrified of fusion surgery for a long time and put it off, but I'm so happy that I went ahead with it because now I have my life back again.

It's essential to prepare well at home prior to your surgery. As well as friends and family to help me, I had a domestic service once a week. I prepared and froze meals to last for a couple of months.

Recovery takes a long time and can be frustrating at times. It's essential not to overdo things, especially in the early days and to observe the no bending-lifting-twisting rules. You'll need LOTS of rest with short walks once you're home. The physio in the hospital will give you simple stretching and mobility exercises to start you off.

I hope all goes well for you on the 10th and when you're able to, do let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are preparing for a long journey and at the end you may become pain free!! how exciting! good luck on a successful recovery! be sure and stop by anytime you have any questions. the site has alot of good videos and info about your surgery.. you want all the info you can get!! Jenny :)