Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone pre-op wearing the Aspen LSO (lumbar) brace for relief?

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Lower Back Pain
I can't take this much more. I am in such miserable pain, crying and screaming when riding in the car, or when sitting. Can't even go out anymore, because of it. I am desperate for any kind of relief.

Was just wondering if anyone uses the Aspen LSO lumbar brace? I have read that they really help, but I dunno.... however, I am game!

Or ANY brace, for that matter? Aspen is the only manufacturer I am aware of at this point.

Any input? Thanks so much. ~Molly

• Yes, I wear that brace. It's a fairly large brace that has a hard back and sides. My surgeon just took out one of the hard sides last week, so I still have lots of support. In my case I have Osteoporosis and soft bones. I had a double fusion at L 3/4 & L 4/5, on June 29. I also have been in the same brace since November of 2009 because of a Fractured T 12, but my current surgeon kept me in it after this surgery. I could "not" ride in a car if I wasn't wearing a brace, or do anything like walking without it. I don't wear it when I sleep or I'm going to be down for awhile. The one I have, cost around $1,000, but insurance paid it.
    Do they have a surgery date for you?
  • Hi Mindy,
    No, I don't have a date for surgery yet. I am just now at the stage where I am angry with this pain, angry of living like this, and am now looking for a surgeon who can help me. I'm ready to start thinking seriously about having the surgery done because I can't take the pain anymore. It's ruining my life.
    I have an appt. on the 31st with a doctor, so I'm looking forward to it, somewhat. I think you know what I mean!
  • I went through all the decision questions I kept asking myself. My decision came when I knew I couldn't live with the quality of life I was living. I still don't know how much of the problems this surgery has fixed. I'm still having allot of post-surgery pain. I had a bone stimulator implanted and I think it's causing me allot of the pain. The Dr. doesn't want to take it out, but if he can tell some where along the road that I'm not going to fuse he'll take it out. Right now my best chances are leaving it in. Just be sure you get a good evaluation and have a good surgeon before you have anything done.
  • Hi

I wear that brace most of the day. I dont sleep in it since it has a rigid rectangular bar in the back. It comes in 3 pieces which you have to assemble. I also have a clamshell brace. Both keep me from bending at the waist and are fairly comfortable except that I have a large bust and the braces push up on them. Gonna use the Dremel and adjust that part.
This discussion has been closed.