Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Same grocery store, different story :)

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
I went to our local grocery store, again, and had a totally different experience than I had with the "I hurt more than you do" clerk.

I have teenagers, so it seems that we are always at the grocery store. I just wish it were closer, like next door kinda close.

Anyhow...after the girls loaded the groceries into the car I was pushing the cart back to the front of the store. A gentleman (probably about 40 yrs old), said to me "I'll take that". After taking the cart from me, he asked when did I have surgery. (Again, the big black brace is a dead giveaway). I have to admit though that it kind of surprised me because he didn't ask IF I'd had surgery, but WHEN. I told him, the end of June, and then he asked how I was feeling. I live in the south, in a relatively small town, but I'd never seen this man before. I told him I was feeling OK. He then told me that he had a 3 level fusion about 7 years ago with a re-do 2 years ago. I didn't ask him to elaborate on what he meant by re-do (it was like 103 degrees outside and I was already sweating bullets).

After our little exchange, he told me to just "hang tight" and things would get better. He said, from one bad back to another, the only thing I can stress to you is to not strain, ever. I thanked him once again and we parted ways.

I just wanted to share that because just a little act of kindness sometimes is all it takes to restore my faith in humanity. It was during lunchtime and he looked to be rushed, but still took the time to save my cart and ask about me, a person he's never met.

Oh, and by the way, I went to a different check out line this time :) !

• You have to have faith in human kindness. Today I was in the store and thinking about your other post. I looked around and thought how unhappy everyone was, including me I guess. It was 4 PM on a Monday. I'm in a pretty big town where you don't look at anyone funny let alone talk to a stranger. Very sad.

But then I went to self-checkout and needed the "helper" to key in something. When she finished she went to the end of the belt and bagged everything for me....so yes there are nice people who do something good just because or will say something incouraging.

• That's kind of like what I posted in your other thread. Those that have 'been there, and done that', they know. I was in my favorite fish restaurant a short while ago, and a woman in the table next to me did like your man (no cart, just eating), asking me when my surgery was. Then she showed me the back of her neck which revealed an 8" vertical scar. She was fused posteriorly for like 4 levels!

We chatted amongst ourselves with our experiences, and our husbands did 'guy' talk. :) It was a pretty nice evening overall! Oh, and her multi level fusion was a success! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.