Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

zumba

meme1166mmeme1166 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Has anyone heard of this new exercise Zumba? I am 3 months out from lower lumbar fusion. I am back to work now, on 2nd week and 4th week of pt. Was wondering if anyone has tried this exercising?
advertisement

Comments

• I would highly suggest googling before trying. That routine might be a bit much for a new fusion! Good luck and happy exercising :)
  • I would highly recommend contacting your surgeon about this before giving it a try.

"C"

• I just googled it because I hadn't heard of it before. Ouch! It looks too much for me. I did dance at a wedding on Saturday, which felt great, but I couldn't have done the zumba.

It looks great fun though! :D
    Maybe one day.
  • I need to lose some weight to get in better shape. I am only 43 years old and have to go along time with this hardware. My father has an appt with neurosurgeon about HIS back and I may get him to ask for me since I have no more followup appts with my surgeon. I'll let you know what they say. I was thinking it might be a little soon with all the twisting.
  • Like Jellyhall, I've never heard of this, so I Googled it - Ouch! I haven't had surgery on my back yet, but I think if I did a few of those moves, (lol!) it would be right around the corner!

Seriously though...That looks pretty aggressive for a person suffering with spine damage, issues or surgery. Granted everyone is different. Like was said, I wouldn't even try that without a doctor (hopefully your surgeon - you can still call him right?) giving the green light? Good luck with it, just be careful?

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would be very leery of that or any exercise like it. It looks like a fun dance exercise that I'm sure a lot of women will like.

At 3 months post op I was done all the basic PT with the pool and walking. Moved on to specific Pilates exercises with a PT coach. Starting to rebuild core strength. All approved by my surgeon. Not until I was 6 months out and he was happy with the xray at that time. Then he said I could move on to doing normal things. Weights and extension being the big no-no for me. Beyond that go back to our life and what you like to do.

You really want your surgeon to give you input. He/She is the one who better know what your body and specific situation can take.

At 9 months I can do anything I want beyond lifting heavy weights from the floor up. I'm doing Power 90 and have been for about 1 month. It's tough, but doable, if you are careful about some of the exercises that stress the lower back a lot. You can look up Power 90 and see videos on it. Definitely not easy. So you can get there. 1 step at a time.

Good luck.
advertisement