Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Road Traveled

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
From Robert Frost:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

I truly believe that all Spinal patients have similar roads to travel. If we had a crystal ball at our disposal, we could make sure that we have picked the right road.

For myself, I know over 35+ years, at times I have traveled the right road many times and probably just as many traveled the wrong one.

I guess that what makes us all so unique. We have the ultimate decision in deciding which road we will take.

How many of us have traveled that right road? And how many of us have taken the wrong path.

If anything, I have realized that the paths I have taken over the years may not be the same as yours. Is one right or wrong? No, we have to do what we have to do to keep moving ahead.

To me, I always encourage people to make the decision as to which road to take. What bothers me, are those that look at the roads and cant decide. Sitting on the fence, may be comfortable, but I doubt it will do in the long run
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Howdy Ron,

Neat thread! Of course if we count accidents (if that is what put the fork in our road) - that would be the wrong road, but that taken out...

I think I've taken the right 'roads' in my life to this point. Some of the decisions weighed directly on me and my decision, others through the support of friends and family. Some roads in this life allow for a 'do-over' or a "Control-Z" for going back, and then up the other road.

I have no real regrets at present, even with the spine issues. I try to live within my bodies limits, and yeah, push a bit past sometimes when I shouldn't, but didn't we all push a bit here and there as we grew?

Roads...I like that paradigm!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I really don't think that there is a wrong path. It takes what it takes to get us to where we are today and if we change just one seemingly minute thing, we could be waking up to a completely different reality. I feel that mistake are there as tools to learn from. The lessons we learn from our mistakes, are reinforced by the right decision bringing everything into sync.

• How can we ever really know if we chose the correct road? As we didn't take the 'other one', we will never know where that would have led. Things may have been better down that road, or they may have been worse.

We have to live with the choice we made.
    I agree with 'C' that we learn lots of lessons along the way, and how to cope with the bumps in the road. :-)
  • Ron,
    Any road is better than none or the fear of failure should not determine our objective to at least try and live a life in this challenging and difficult circumstance.

We owe this to ourselves and we are all worthy of more recognition, the sad thing would be not to have tried to see what is possible, to have lived a little life, failure brings us nearer success. This specific marathon requires lifestyle changes, with close attention to flexibility Even this current objective is only a stepping-stone to the next one, where the subsequent challenges await in anticipation for our arrival.

Even when our shorter journey turns out to be less effective, we always set off with the same enthusiasm, expectation or potential. We retrace our steps until we see something familiar, regroup and set off once again, refreshed in the knowledge of what we have learned and that one step forward and two back analogy is never more apt that when we live in constant pain. Intersections are part of the pain management process as soon as we have made a decision the next one is around the corner, the opportunity to change and travel an alternative route is always possible and appropriate at times.

Our perception is that the historic healthy us living in that alternative existence or our sub-conscious is having more fun than we are; they would never be restricted in the norms that we are experiencing, that is only a figment of our imagination to infer that the alternative us, is always having a better journey, or still playing golf.

We all learn more on the journey and may never reach the destination we had in mind when we set off, managing pain is never a 10 step program, no sooner have we learned new skills and achievement then we need to learn additional skills to keep our momentum progressive.

We meet nice people on the journey and stay awhile for rest and gather the strength to continue, as Ron said even the wrong decision is better than no decision at all and here we encouraged other to try and envisage improvement, the courage to venture into the unknown and the option to acknowledge what we have learned, every journey is special and unique, every time we set off we have accumulative knowledge and enhanced skills in readiness for the unexpected, the known or unknown.

Have to stop and buy some more gas, I can see the light from here.

Take care.

• Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I marked the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Thank you Ron - I wanted to post the whole thing because this is such a beautiful and inspiration poem.

I've thought a lot about this lately, that maybe if I'd travelled a different road, I'd have a college degree, be gainfully employed, not have financial worries, not have spine problems, etc.

But my final thought always is that if I had not taken the road I'd travelled, I might not have met and married my husband and that would have been a tragedy.