Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If I could only do

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
Read that subject line over and over and then come up with an answer that is yours only.

Try to answer, If I could only do:
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• If I could only do it over again, I would never have tried to shovel that grain for 15 minutes, without straightening up, 37 years ago!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • If I could only do a 're-do'... I wouldn't have been "Ms Nice Gal" and stayed over on my day off to give a Flight Instructor Check Ride in the Helicopter! Then I wouldn't have crashed, and be where I am now.

Hummm..(thinking...) Then again, would I change it? I look at the streamline my life has taken, and if that element was out, sure I would probably be better off with my spine, but wow, would have missed out on so many people and events over the years that the crash caused in so far as my daily changes of life and career path!?! *shrug* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would have probably not have boogie boarded,skied,snowmobiled,water skied etc....I guess I would have put myself more into a doing things bubble. It would have kept me from having several surgeries(I think).

Like Brenda I think more about it and would I actually change things?? It has made me who I am today.

Wow, food for thought....
  • Great topic starter!

We were actually talking about this tonight... my sister in law was asking about my back and what could be done/had been done, and my mom brought up the old (original) ortho from when I started going at 7.

She feels he didn't explain it well enough (or, that we were just not knowledgeable enough back then) what we thought were different suggestions more than likely were things that I Should have done. I was never body casted, nor was I braced... a few times I was wrapped I guess you could call it.

I didn't have surgery (for my back), and, I really didn't "behave". I didn't do any of the things it seems that now, I should have done then.

But... one of the advantages of this site is that I see and read of people that had similar issues and Did do all of that... and ended up having surgery anyway... sometimes multiple ones. I'm rather glad to have missed all of those over the years!

So, I guess I'm kind of glad that I Didn't do that stuff, especially if I might have ended up here, anyway, but possibly in worse shape than I am now.

The other thing I do think about is that if I could only....

have done it over the night I got beaten up. I should have figured a way to MAKE the security guard at the building near by to call the police or an ambulance... I should have found another way to get home (I walked over 3 miles) I should have gone to a different hospital.. (they said I had a fractured rib and vertebrae and said nothing could really be done with it) I should have just done.... more.
  • I would move upstate and start a farm. Not a traditional farm but maybe a few chickens and a kitchen garden with a little extra that I could sell at the farmers market in town. Maybe some apple trees to watch grow and mature.

I would take in the "lost" animals who needed a new home. The ones who were abused or left behind when their families move.

I would mentor young girls with babies who don't know how to break the cycle of bad relationships. Help them find their "If I could only".

This past week I have felt very lost. I feel like there is a new life just around the corner but I'm not at that corner yet.

I don't regret my past except that maybe I should have lived a bit more because you never know what will happen. I am not a risk taker but here I am anyway.
  • I could show people how to decrease their suffering a little. With that little decrease in suffering, they might see a little flash-light of colour at the end of some tunnel that they have been walking through for years.

Once the light is seen and they begin to walk towards it, maybe the spirit will lift, - even if just a little, because having the spirit smashed down - is something that got to me after awhile.

I keep propping it up, and most all of the time now - my sails have wind. It is rare now - for me to not have movement and light around me. Does not mean that all is perfect, but things are much better.

Hope enters - and guess what - you cannot hold things back - you have to move - even if its only a little.

And now - years later - I keep chatting, trusting that someone needs to hear - the words I have.
  • More to help my hubby with all the burden of paying bills and such...

More physical things with my son

more to help my d with college

more to help with the homeless the way i use to do

more to help others volentering and such

more to find new friends (hard to do at age 51)besides the wonderful ones i have thru sh chat

more to help my hubby's songs get out there

more to help my mom (86)needs 24/7 care can't do most of physical things....

more to help others in my area with the same issues

more to get churches,doctors offices,hospital er waiting areas, get recliner chairs, wouldn't that be great for us spineys......

more to get enough money to gather all us spineys together at least yearly....

neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Your entire post was really aimed at the things that you could do, the things that you could contribute to others. Nothing really focused on your own medical situation.

I dont think there are many posts as unselfish as what you just posted today.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • had seat belt pretensioner and active head rests .i may never have been in the position i am now .when i had my crash ,cars in the uk did not have the sophisticated safety items on them like today's vehicles .i have always warn a seat belt and i can't understand why people don't !.but i feel that if i had the crash in a modern vehicle like my own {hyundia tucson medium size 4x4}.the damage to me would have been negligible