Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pulling weeds

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
Sunday I was pulling weeds in my yard that I'd let get out of control, then made dinner, and it set me back a day - Monday I had to spend the day in my recliner taking meds, having done too much for my spine to handle. Yes, I knew this when I did it, but I made a conscious choice to “take care of business” first and reap the consequences later.

It got me to thinking about the metaphorical weeds we have in our lives. What weeds to we need to pull to clean up our lives and make our garden pretty again?

For me, I need to stop thinking about why all this happened. That weed was at one time too large to pull out all at once, so I’ve chipped away at it for two years and it might be time now to pluck it out of my yard forever. I expect little offshoots to come up once in a while, but I’ll just take a quick look at it and then pull it out again.

Another weed I need to work on is looking at my MRI and CT reports that I recently had done. It’s not a pretty weed, and it’s still so young that I might be able to pull that one out by the roots all at once right now. There’s nobody that can pull that weed but me, no solution other than getting my hands dirty and getting rid of it.

At least I can say that I’ve pulled enough weeds out of my life that I can see the garden gate and there’s a path to it that I’m following that’s leading to a life - somewhere, sometime, but the gate is there and I’ve opened it and am going through.

I know that other weeds will pop up as my life continues on, some too large to deal with all at once and some just baby weeds that I can pull immediately or choose to let fester until it becomes so big that I’ll have to chip away at it once again.

Some of our weeds are up to us to uproot, and some will grow despite the pesticide we try put on it. All we can do is deal with one weed at a time, chip away if necessary and rip it out by the roots if and when possible.

Do you have any weeds that you can pull out by the roots right now to make way for more life? And are you chipping away at that nasty root that seems to have grown into a monster and taken over your garden?

• Cath you post reminded me of the old saying "you can't see the forest for the trees". I tend to focus too much on one particular tree instead of seeing the whole forest. One CT that says operate made me forget to look at what that operation could mean good or bad. And then I got mad when other tests and doctors said no surgery.

I think this is the same as your garden. I need to accept that the CT report is not the answer and pull that weed. Another big weed for me is employment. That one will take some time to pull out.

I'm thinking it might be easier to plant something that will crowd that particular weed out. Sometimes introducing new and more interesting plants will make the weeds easier to ignor.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

Where did they come from ???
    Why are they here ??
    Can we stop them ??
    Do we need to treat different weeds differently ??

Now for the answers:

Who knows
    Nobody can figure out
    No, only slow them down
    Yes, some with a knife, some with a weed wacker and then some with a chain saw
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com