Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New MRI scheduled

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It has been a while, but my RA Doc has ordered another mri of my cervical and thoracic areas. the Lupus blood work, would indicate that i am heading towards a break from my flare up, but the intense back pain, neck pain would let up. I asked her if there was a way to do a positional mri - she said she'd love to have that for me - that in her opinion lots of injuries disappear once laying on the table. She'd like to do a lumbar mri, due to the fact taht I have lost all curve from my neck thru the lumbar area - literally I am straight down. Wow - what constant muscle spasms can do!?

I am hoping that we find something on this mri. question for you - when this is performed, can they see things that are close to the spine - like maybe a tumor, but not actually in the disks?

• Yes they can see just more than the spine. For a example my Thoracic Mri picked up a extra eshoguas track or pocket. But then again my mri's of the thoracic also picked up tumors of the thoracic spine not the disc but the vertebre themselves. I know another member whom had to go for more studying due to what a cervical mri picked up on the thyroid. So yes they do pick up other things. Why would you specifically be looking for a tumor did a doctor suggest that to you before on something. I would think a tumor they would specifically look at.
  • Hey that is great news that the doc is going to be so proactive. Yay! I'm sorry to hear that all this time you have been putting up with the same battle and not making any progress towards relief from those spasms.

It's good to hear from you. I hope this is a good omen and that things are finally going to start falling into place.

• This past winter, after the thyroid was killed off, the Endocronologist was very concerned that I had a positive ANA test that doctor's were blowing off as a false positive. He insisted that I see an RA doc to put that idea to rest or to find out more. Well, it wasn't a false positive and a year later another ANA blood test came back higher than then the eariler one. The RA doc thru this and other testing is now treating me for Lupus.

The antimalarias, antiinflamatories have helped my hips and hands alot. These areas always ached, but I was always concerned about my neck and back, never even brought it up - now I am not aware on a daily basis that i have hips and so on. That has been very helpful.

But the the area from my jaw line to waist is still in pain. The RA doctor wanted the Lupus numbers to be better before we took another look at the back. So now we are.

About 12 years ago, I had a lipoma (benign tumor) removed from under my pelvic/hip bone - it was found on accident - long story. I have the same "sense" that something is stuck in me just left of my spine, in the thoracic area. I don't know how else to explain it. The pain that radiates thru my back into my sternum is disabling. Past thoracic mri's showed nothing at all in the thoracic, the c showed c56 spurs and herniation into the spinal canal, but no nerve root impingement.

11 years ago, i had 2 mri's - but the 3 cm lipomia was never noted....just wondering if i am going thru the same thing. Back then, i was told, no one gets these lipomias in their body cavity - well, if it happened once, maybe again.

But I hope you are right, perhaps this time the problem will show. This journey began, april 07 and I am getting very tired!

hope you are well - patti