Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent Implant Surgery Tomorrow

suegreessuegree Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Tomorrow is my permanent SCS implant surgery. I'm having the ANS Eon mini.

I"m hopeful that it will greatly improve my ability to walk and stand so I can do more things.

I'm not really nervous, but upset that I have to go through another post-surgical pain and recovery period. I'm tired of this. It's my 3rd surgery in 4 years with many pain procedures in-between plus a diagnosis of CRPS/RSD.

Just another scar to add to my collection of identifying marks.

• Good luck tomorrow! I hope this procedure brings you much relief and too your life back as normal as it can be! Please let us know how it goes! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • All the best for tomorrow Sue and I hope all goes well.

Take care and keep us updated as I have a trial in November and if it works, it will be done permanently in January..

Take care and stay strong
  • that is great. I hope your SCS give you the help that mine have giving me. Most of your surgery pain will be gone in 2 to 3 week. My SCS gave me a 50% or better Of the life I had.

• Best wishes for your implant surgery, a smooth recovery, and PAIN RELIEF!!

I'm curious as to when you had your TLIF. I had mine in January and I still have unresolved pain. That was my third surgery at L5-S1 in a little over two years. The first two were discectomies.

Again, I wish you the very best!!

• I hope all went well for you. I am 8 days post SCS implant. You will do fine. It isn't nearly as hard a recovery as the surgeries. Will be waiting to hear how you are doing.

• Hope everything is well. Please keep us posted when you are feeling up to it. Sending good vibes to you! Please take care of your self and follow doctors orders.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • God Bless. Hope the surgery is successful and you are better in the end. Best of luck. mel v. :D
  • I had my TLIF 3 years ago. It helped everything but SI pain. The back pain I have now is at a higher level as my entire spine is arthritic.

• :)
    I'm in much less pain from the surgery than I expected. The back hurts more than the buttock. It's hard to lean back. I had a spinal which left me more alert.
    The worst part is constipation from the morphine.
    My normal back pain isn't bothering me. Maybe I'm distracted by the incisions. I wonder if the SCS helps the incision pain.

• Good to hear from you. I hope your recovery continues to go well for you. Mine was relatively easy and I was out and about just days after the implant. I played it safe and would venture out one day and then rest the following day. Did that for the first 2 weeks after my implant surgery. Even just venturing out to see a movie was a nice break.

• In my experience, the SCS doesn't do anything for the incision pain. Mine is awesome for my hips, but unfortunately doesn't touch the arthritis in my knees. It's weird what it will and won't help.

Good luck!
  • I'm glad that your surgery went well. It's good to hear that people have positive experiences. From people's posts I'm seeing that you had to stay in the hospital after the surgery. My surgeon told me that most people go home the same day he made it sound like both the trial and permanent are day surgeries. Is that not true??
  • Sue, hoe are you? I am having the exact unit installed in my thoracic as soon an the final approval comes through. I am interested to know how yours went. surgery time? ANS rep. follow through? Programming problems? Of course all this if and when you feel up to it.
    Good luck, get well and take care or yourself!
  • Individuals who get the percutaneous leads generally are in and out the same day. Those who get surgical (paddle) leads tend to stay overnight or a few days on a case by case basis. For my permanent implant I went in around 7 AM and was out in time for lunch.

• I had to stay overnight in the hospital for monitoring and so they could give me morphine via IV as necessary. It's what's called a 23 hour hold. It's some kind of insurance term so you don't get charged for a night in the hospital. I went home the next morning.

The surgery was around 1 hour or so. It was scheduled for 1:00 and I was back in my room around 3:30 (I think--I was a bit groggy). I had spinal anesthesia plus Versed to make me sleepy and forget. I only remember the beginning and end. The ANS rep programmed me in recovery but I don't remember it (as she warned me). My doctor said that most reps program you the next morning. Instead, she phoned me in the morning to discuss how the programming was.

My ANS rep, Edited, is fabulous!! Very available and receptive to my needs. I was able to give her very specific feedback after my trial which she used for my initial programming of 3 programs. I only like 1 program so I will try to get others. I have few complaints about the programming so far.

The pain from the incisions is overriding my back pain so it's hard to judge the effectiveness yet. I always have slept fine so I don' sleep.

I'm doing remarkably well. My back incision makes it hard to sit back in a chair and I have an allergic rash to the dressing's tape on my buttock, but nothing major. I was given Valium as a muscle relaxer but I only take it to sleep.

I'm going on my first outing today so I'll see how it works.

I hope this answers most of your questions. If not, feel free to ask away.

Name of medical professional removed by Moderator haglandc
  • My ANS Re. said that they wait at least a week b4 they even turn the thing on. Want most all post op. pain, swelling, drainage to subside. Mine will be in the thoracic, so may be different, who knows?
    Gotta go Good luck Bill
  • I'm definitely not the typical patient when it comes to SCS, in any way, shape, or form, but I figured I'd tell you how my surgery went just in case someone else is weird like me, ha!

My surgeon originally expected me to be in the hospital overnight, and to leave the next morning. I told him at the pre-op that I'm *always* in the hospital longer than expected, so he had some forewarning.

It was probably a good thing that I did warn him, because I ended up having to stay 4 days. I had my surgery Wednesday morning, and I got out Saturday night. I didn't have a ton of pain trouble, but I did have a lot of trouble with vertigo and my blood pressure. Sometimes it was too low, sometimes it was too high... it seemed like there was no middle ground.

Like I said though, I'm not at all typical. (I stayed in 3 days with my appendectomy, instead of overnight, and a week with my brain surgery, instead of an expected 3 days.)

On the bright side, I also got 100% pain relief in my hips. I would stay in the hospital for a long time if it meant being out of pain for the first time in 20+ years!

Oh, and I have paddle leads at T9, just so you know how that variable fits in.
  • Hi Sue, I'm glad that your implant went well. I also have ANS Eon SCS, I had mine turned on that first night after talking to my rep. He guided me through the different programs but I had it on very low stimulation. So far it has been covering all the area's needed. My incision is still tender in the back, but is healing. I hope that your needs are met. SLH
  • Bill my rep and docs office said that they wait approx 1 week before turning it on. It's so your body has a chance to heal and settle down.