Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thank you for the website!

buckeyebanditbbuckeyebandit Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
First, I would like to thank this website and its founders. Second, I would like to thank everyone who has posted information about back issues so I could be more informed about my condition. Third, I would like to thank my family for their support.

Currently, I have severe pain in my left upper butt and front shin. I am taking 1000 mg of vicodin 4 times a day and was recently put on lyrica 150 mg per day. I still do not have pain relief.

My History:
Herniated L3-L4 and L4-L5 discs in 1995 while playing college football. Decided not to have surgery and tough it out. Approximately one year later, I was relieved of my pain in my back and left leg. From 1997 to 2009, I injuried my back numberous times, but did not seek medical assistance.

Finally, June of 2009, I injuried by back seriously. My back Dr said I had bulging discs at L3-L4 and L4-L5, with spinal stenosis at L3-L4. Went through physical therapy for 3 months. After 3 months had no pain. I was running 15 miles a week. Then on March 5, while leaning over the sink, I re-injuried my back. The back doc gave me 2 epidural injections and it relieved the pain (back and leg) for 2 months.

Then, I was having back pain throughout June 2010. On 07/05/10 I awoke with severe back and leg pain. I called my back Dr on 07/06/10 and he was out of the office. Finally, I saw the Dr on 7/15/10 and had my MRI on 7/20/10. The MRI showed an extruded disc at L3-L4 abutting the descending left L4 nerve root. The extruded disc has a maximal AP dimension of 8mm. Also, the MRI reported DDD in L3 through S1.

The Dr said surgery is an option if I wanted to remove the herniation. If surgery was performed, Dr could guarantee my leg pain would be removed, but could not guarantee my back pain would be eliminated. He referred me to a PM for steroid injections on 07/15/10. On 07/23/10, I called the PM to make sure they received the Drs referral. The PM indicated they had not received the referral. Finally, after pushing my Dr. for the PM referal, the first appointment to see the PM was not until the last week of August. I called my Dr. back and said this appointment is six week away and I wanted them to refer me to another PM. My Dr. said I only refer my patients to this PM and that I would have to wait 6 weeks for injections. I am extremely mad at this point.

On 07/29/10, I went back to the back Dr and requested additional pain relief since my PM could not see me until the last week of August. He prescribed 150 mg per day of lyrica. Since starting lyrica, my back and leg pain has quadrupled. The vicoden and lyrica do not give me pain relief. I am totally frustrated right now and do not know what to do. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

• It's rough you have to wait 6 weeks for your appointment. See your Dr. and let him know you're still having little relief with your meds. I use ice and heat in between injections. Call the PM Dr. to see if you can get on the cancellation list and possibly be seen earlier. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi and welcome to the site...Ive found an endless amount of knowledge from the people here and someone is always there to talk to and understands what your going thru..

Take care and I hope you can get into your Dr sooner. :H
  • I called and the reason for the late august app is he is out of the country for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. I just called a second PM and they can get me in next Monday for a consultation. Things are looking my way.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Jeauxbert or haglandc or Administrators tamtam or DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team Neck of Steel , Cath111 or Dave

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

lease feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    There are some people out here that would say Jump into surgery, thats your only answer
    Then there are so many of us that would say, surgery is something very personal and only you and your doctor can make that decision.

There are so many pros/cons to surgery and the fact that everyone is an individual, we can only express our opinions based on personal experiences.

What your doctor said has been something I've heard time and time again. When a disc is impinging on a nerve root and you have surgery to correct that, the nerve pain normally will diminish over time.
    That time, however varies depending on how long the nerve was impinged, how long before having the surgery, how long the actual surgery was and many other individual factors.

I've always been in favor of conservative treatments. There are so many out there, you can try them all, once maybe even twice to see if you get positive results.

Take a look at our FAQ, specifically this topic:

Questions to ask your doctor before having back surgery

Once again, welcome, and can I assume you are an Ohio State graduate.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm glad that you were able to get an appointment with another PM.

Take care and I hope he can help you with your pain on Monday.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. good luck with your appoinment on Monday and to getting some pain relief! let us know how you are! drop by anytime! Jenny :)