Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

all in my head

elviseelvis Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
hiya its me again i feel like i am going mad i had a doc come out to see me about the pain i have in my back i have DDD after i had a accident at work 2 years ago so i put in a claim to get compo from them the medical report was good up till they said that the pain was all in my head so why then if its all in my head would a doc give me tramadol 50g and ibuprofen 400g to take for the pain can anyone help me with this they say i need to to see psychiatrist for assessments and treatments

• It is part of the system.

If the pain has been constant - over the 2 years or more, then it has in fact changed - modified the pain pathways in the brain. It is fact! To some extent - the Dr is right.

However - he is being a little dismissive - or is trying to make sure that your not the 1/100 that is a drug seeker.

I went through it for 2 years - and in the end, they handed me whatever I needed for a time - until I quit some stuff and got a few things that worked.

Just roll with the punches and you'll be fine!
  • I agree with Centurion45 I been playing the game with workman comp for about 3 years. Just keep on fighting for your right.

• Yup! They are trying to protect themselves. I had a previous condition in my back. I was diagnosed with DDD. However, I would only get flare ups once a year, twice a year if it was a bad year. So not bad. 10 days out of 365 I would take fistfulls of advil and lay down.

Then while working, I lifted an 80 pound monitor and it felt like my spine broke in half. I was hurting for weeks. I filed the claim and every HR rep in the company dragged me into conference rooms and made me feel like a criminal.

The end result is now a constant pain in my back, it never goes away. But I am on my own using my insurance.

Sometimes, it is not worth it. They will do whatever they can to discourage you from filing that claim.

But I would certainly keep fighting for your rights if you have the will to do so.
  • Elvis,
    Even if those words “all in your head” were factual it would necessitate no actual physical symptoms to be a true statement, pain as a concept rarely originates in our heads, it is as Centurion suggest illuminated in our heads from an alternative source of creation, our individual perception, expectation or historic experience of pain. Left unmanaged that perception can grow and grow to such an extent that we display behaviours that are inconsistent with what are envisaged as the normal presentation of chronic pain itself, we have inadvertently learned to use those traits to present ourselves to the outside world, representative of how we feel internally about the pain we endure. PM is about keeping those concepts within reasonable confines and finding that simultaneous strategy that is thought to be the most effect tool in managing our symptoms and using CBT to help us deal with the pain itself, its limitations and management.

Most chronic pain patients have some medical evidence of an underlying condition or relevant diagnosis but not always, many here have pain with no reasonable explanation at to its origin, creation or reason for continuance, it is never easy when we have pain and perhaps when patients say they have pain it is up to those best placed to identify its origin to refute our symptoms. Pain is said to be chronic when it continues longer than would be expected.

It is the objective for those with an separate motive to deny the existence of your pain as that cerebral origin cannot be substantiated and perhaps is the initial mode for challenging your integrity, the inability to identify your pains origin does not mean that is does not exist, clarification and diagnosis does take time and explaining the reason for our symptoms.

What evidence do you have from your DDD diagnosis and does that give a clearer explanation.

Take care.

• thank you for your reply when we got the letter saying its in my head my wife went thought it with a fine toothcomb and rang them up and told them they have a few more weeks with this as the lawers have all that they needed to claim and told them it been over 2 years now we have been told that we should get an offer soon