Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No surgery back to OS...now what?

south_txgalssouth_txgal Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Well the 2nd NS called to say I'm not a candidate for surgery. Mind you, I don't want surgery, just want the pain to go away! Nobody has yet to sit down and go over the MRI report with me, will see my OS next week to go over it after he gets back from a much needed vacation. Guess I'm just wanting to vent right now, sorry!! I started taking my Darvocet yesterday after a trip to the grocery store became painful. Darvocet was prescribed prior to knee surgery in Feb and still had some left over.
So, when the drs say no surgery and we need to discuss other options, what does that mean? What are the long term outcomes of other options? I've already been out on STD since Feb for my meniscectomy, dr told me then I needed a different line of work. Im guessing I cant be released to go back to a high impact job that involves heavy lifting and climbing stairs 10 hrs a day??? Sorry, I'm just scared, nervous and confused.

• What is wrong with your back? You probably explained it in another post but you might want to put a brief summary in your signature line so it will follow you in all your posts. :)

I'm amazed that you're still out on STD for a menisectomy done in February. I had a menisectomy done and went back to heavy work I needed to be doing at the time (not a regular job) the next week and was fine. Did the surgery not fix your knee pain??

Sorry for your frustration--it's okay to vent here. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I'm in the same boat. I had surgery in January that fixed one problem but caused others. In June I was told surgery was necessary so I gave in to the pain and went on disability. Now they say surgery won't help. So what next?

I went to my pain management doctor yesterday and started on a narcotic path officially. Last time he told me to use left overs from surgery when needed. But I wanted it formalized.

Next stop is back to my neurologist. I learned this week that I have to see him every month to complete the disability paperwork.

And then I'm supposed to see a physiatrist to see if PT is a good idea.

So it looks like we will be in this boat together. If you are like me you feel let down that the "fix" isn't an option. It took me almost a month to realize that this was a blessing in disguise. Surgery would have been a disaster for me.

Hopefully your orthopedist will have some ideas for you.
  • Guess I should have thought to make a signature!!Absent-mindedness is yet another of my afflictions lol! Fixed it and I see now it's there. Had to make a trip to the ER yesterday. I went to stand up and what do you know...there was no feeling in either leg. I went down to the floor, almost taking my 16 yo daughter with me as she was sitting in the computer chair. ER did brain scan and lumbar scan, said maybe a pinched nerve??? Anyway, they gave me several injections. The ones I can remember were morphine, phenergen, medrol and I took a valium orally. Both legs sure are sore today, but am up and waling semi normally. Will see my OS next Wed. to find out what's next.

PS: I asked my RN at the hospital yesterday if he would just bring all his meds and come home with me. He said I couldn't afford him LOL
  • It's nice to know I'm not alone! I keep saying if I had known all this would happen I would have never had my knee done. My OS says after I had the meniscectomy that my quad never gained back strength. That's where the MRI of my lumbar came in. I've known for years I was having problems with my leg, just never thought my back was the cause and never wanted to tell my dr because I didnt want to appear like a hypochondriac. So just sucked it up and took a bunch of ibuprofen. After the surgery, there was no way of masking it anymore. My job keeps calling to see when I will be back and all I can tell them is we don't know.
    Keep in touch Kris, I would love to hear how everything goes for you!!