Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

keep back from stiffening during tournament

jbtke399jjbtke399 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm 2 years removed from a L4-L5 discectomy and my back feels good as long as I stay on top of stretching and PT exercises. I play in a volleyball league where we play 3 matches per night. There's about 30 min between matches during which time my back stiffens up significantly and makes me very immobile. I've tried to keep stretching but to no avail. The only way I know that will ease the stiffness is to ice it...but then I need to loosen it back up again before I play.

I have a tournament coming up where I'll be playing 3-4 matches with about 30 min breaks in between each. Does anyone have any advice for me to help avoid my back stiffening during breaks?

• Have you thought about using heat? I know in PT they use heat before you exercise to loosen the muscles. Then ice is used at the end to reduce swelling and tighten the muscles.
  • Thanks for the reply Kris, I have thought about using heat. The only problem is the logistics behind it. I'm playing in an outside tournament and I'm not sure what method I could use to apply heat.

I'll look into if they make any kind of heating pad that works like those hand warmers they use for skiing
  • Yes, you can get instant disposable heating pads in any drug store. They work on chemical reactions rather than a heat source. I've used them, they work really well!
  • You can also get microwaveable gel packs; when we travel, I take several of them in a small lunchbox sized cooler, and can swap them around when one cools off. They hold their heat for hours, if they're kept insulated. Just be careful not to overheat them, or they WILL burst! Found that out the hard way!

This discussion has been closed.