Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice re: tiredness...........................

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I had six surgeries over the course of a year, none of them with hardware, (discectomy, laminectomies on 2 levels, facet debridement, vertebralplasty) and now I am 3 months out from the last surgery (facet debridement) and over six months from the bigger surgeries, and I find myslef tired enough to take two naps per day. I was NEVER the type to nap before and now I find myself needing two naps per day. I don't get to sleep till around 3 am and usually up around ten, but then every day by 12 or 1 pm I need a nap and then another one around dinner time for one hour. I am still in a lot of discomfort with nerve damage , I'm taking the same meds I've taken for the past year, and I'm worried because I find myself napping like this. Is there any chance this is just my body trying to heal?

• It does sound exactly like your body is trying to heal and telling you get some rest. Six surgeries! in a year! That's a lot to put the human body through. I've had 3 major surgeries over the last 6 years and I'm still tired and need to nap. My first was a hysterectomy, followed by a discectomy/laminectomy exactly a year to the day following that. Now I'm 5 weeks post op PLIF.

I can honestly say that since my first back surgery my sleep patterns never returned to normal. The advice my doctors gave me is that your body won't allow you to sleep unless you need to. You can't just will yourself to sleep. On the other hand, when your body is in need of a recharge it'll let you know that you need a nap.

Your situation doesn't sound at all abnormal. Listen to your body and get the rest you need. I often sleep at the weirdest times too. Can't sleep at night, but by noon I'm whooped!

Best of luck to you in your healing process and your spinal journey :)

• I had 5 surgeries in a year and a half, and I am nearing a year since the last one. Even at this stage, I take naps - like you, I never use to be a 'nap' person. I go to sleep around 4 or 5, get up around noon, nap around 4pm, and then sometimes around 8pm. If I don't take that nap, I get punchy and draggy. Don't know if that helps?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • As long as you've checked in with your Dr. for your physical including blood work, your body may need the rest. You're still early in your healing but if any doubts of course consult your Primary Dr. Prayers for your healing from the surgeries. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi

Six surgeries in a year is a lot for the body to heal from, but you must have needed them.

Since my spine and foot surgeries, I can't get to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning and then get up around 9. It's frustrating, but I just have to go along with it and if I need a "nanna nap" in the day, then that's ok.

The meds which you need to take could be adding to your tiredness, but that's a side effect we have to accept.

Have you had a full blood test done recently? Are you taking a good multi-vitamin?

Take care

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • It does sound like your body needs a chance to rest and heal, you have been thru so much!

I am not a doctor so can only tell you about my personal experience. After my 360 fusion, intuitively, I knew something wasn't right. But I kept telling myself I just needed time to heal.

Finally about a month ago, I went in and had blood work done. As a result of my surgeries, I was severely hypothyroid, which causes fatique, weight gain, fluid bloating, depression, joint aches, muscle pain, etc, etc!

I wish I had listened to my body and not my mind! :) My level is now 86 but he wants me in the 150's so I have a ways to go!

Hang in there! We are here for you! Wishing you the very best and no more surgeries! :)
  • Thank you everyone. I'm in a flareup right now and having a very hard time emotionally also. I have had blood work and everything was OK. This is just so hard! It feels never ending.