Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member - Looking for advice - Confused

dthepitaddthepita Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Dana I am 31 and have had back issues for nine years but the last 2 years have been challenging. About two years ago I had a full back x-ray when they told me I had a form of arthritis in my lower back this was in Sept. and I had no real pain in my back (I have a high tolerance for pain) however that winter I started having pain in my right leg (thigh area) I thought it was caused from the arthritis so I stuck it out waiting for the cold weather to pass. Cold weather passed and the pain stayed it was uncomfortable but still tolerable the pain began to get worse and it went from one leg to both legs I finial went to the doctor which told me it was prob-lie my sciatic nerve and to go to PT which I did I also went to a Chiropractor nothing work it just got worse daily the pain meds didn't help. The one day my feet were numb and my ankles as if I had a rubber band tied around my ankles and it would go away. Then my legs got heavy and didn't work right I have to think about taking a step and now I just drag my feet(I have fell a couple times) right after that started my hands went numb and stayed that way for a couple of weeks and after the numbness in my hands the same pain in my legs are now in my forearm. The pain in my legs are now from my knees to my toes. I finally went back to my doctors which sent me for a MRI the result showed a large amount of fluid around L5-S1 causing pressure on my root nerve my PA referred me to an Orthopedic. I went and seen the orthopedic they did x-ray to confirm my symptoms with all test and said I needed back surgery that I have fractured S1 and a Black Disc that the disc has shifted forward and to the right and has pulled my root nerve and every time I walk, sit, lift the disc keeps moving. I now have problems with my bladder. I have heard stories with people in lower pack pain and pain in there legs but my arms are as dysfunctional as my legs. Will this surgery fix my problems has anyone went through this. My doctor told me if I don't do the surgery it will get worse and there will be a day that I will wake up and not be able to get out of bed. Please help I am not only confused but scared I have 3 girls (my prides and Joy) a husband and a full time job I am reminded daily that my house will fall apart if I'm not there. What should I do?

• I'm not a fan of surgery, but in your case it sounds like you have some serious issues. Bladder problems are not something that usually go away and are normally considered an emergency. Follow-up with you Doctor and tell him that you are having bladder issues. Leave no symptom out. Are you seeing an Orthopaedic Surgeon that specializes in spines only? You need someone that does backs only. With your symptoms, you may want to contact a Neurosurgeon for a second opinion.

• I'm with Dave - you sound like you have very serious issues and bladder problems are considered an emergency.

I can understand your being scared, but trust your doctor or get a second opinion.

If you get to the stage where you can't get out of bed, then your house will fall apart and you won't be able to work. When people haven't had serious back problems, it's hard for them understand your pain.

You have the opportunity to get help for your spine problems and I'd go with your doctor's recommendation.

There are lots of good articles on this site - do have a look at them.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.so glad you stopped by! i am sorry you are in so much pain and having bladder issues on top of that.. please take care of that right away.. please make yourself at home and have a good look around the forum! all the best! Jenny :)