Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

18 months post Microdiscectomy

Neil KNNeil K Posts: 6
My previous post to this forum was in September 2009 7 months post surgery, and got a great responce which i am very greatfull for.

I am currently 18 months post Microdiscectomy for a large disc prolapse L5 / S1. although back pain has almost dissapeared apart from the occasional morning, i am still suffereing from numbness in my little toe and left side of my left foot, and about 25% muscle loss in my calf and glute, my left calf is 1 inch smaller than my right calf. and left glute again about 20% smaller in size.

Which again has improved significantly from almost 100% muscle atrophy following my sciatica attack.

so i suppose my query is, has anyone gone through something simular and the muscle grown back to normal, i work out 5 days a week, and pay a lot of attention to my left calf and glute, but i am wondering is all the hard work i put in the gym going to waste?

• Hey there,

It's a slow go.
    I had a microD in Aug 09 on L5/S1 and it failed within a few weeks but they waited the full 3 months to send me for tests to confirm it.

I had a revision in Feb '10 (just about 6 months ago). I still have numbness i my buttocks, back of left thigh, and left heel to outer toe. I will tell you there is a chance the feeling in the foot may be permanent or it may surprise you in a few more months.

As for muscles...sounds like you are tracking this quite closely. I would say instead of comparing your bad leg to your good leg, perhaps track the progress of your bad leg over time.

For example, I could barely walk on my toes. Then I was able to walk on my toes and actually hold on my bad leg "toe" for longer. I could never 'push up' on my left foot for tippy toes until about a week ago.

My pain is still there but less, my numbness is still there but less, my back is significantly better, but my strength is coming along....but it's slow.

I don't think time at the gym is a waste...I think it's good for your health and to keep your core muscles strong.