Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this even possible?

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted on the sciatica board but got no response. Lumbar fusion in December 2009. Extreme sciatic pain now (had prior to surgery but it is back to an extreme). Recent MRI showed the hardware is positioned such that it is obstructing spinal fluid movement in the area. Also adhesion on sciatic nerve. I am wondering if it is really possible that spinal fluid would be obstructed, wouldn't I be paralyzed or something?>

• That sounds like a question for your doctor.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • What does your doctor say? Anything is possible and the effect could be different for everyone.

I really hate when the imaging place gives reports to patients before they talk to their doctor. So much needless worry as the patient tried to figure out what it says.
  • Have you gone over your MRI with your surgeon? If you haven't, when you see your surgeon ask that he goes over the actual film with you there. Your surgeon is definitely the one to ask that question of.

Best wishes,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Spinal Fluid does need to flow freely but an obstruction probably still allows for the fluid to flow somewhat. There are tests (not pleasant - spinal tap) that can tell if the pressure in the area where spinal fulid resides is within the normal range.

Paralysis is related to, for the most part, the spinal cord, which ends around L1 in most cases.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos