Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MS-Contin timing?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
Those of you on MS-Contin 3x/daily- how do you time your doses?

And how is your breakthrough medicine usually timed?

• Before my change in doses. I would take it at 6AM when I woke up, 2PM and then 10PM.

I never stuck to breakthrough med schedule because some days I would need it and some days I wouldn't, until the end when the pain got out of control.

Then I would take a 15MG MS at the 4 hour mark.

Now I take 100MG MS-Contin twice a day and so far have not needed my breakthru meds at all.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    When i was on it .... for about a year+ .... I would take 60 mg first thing in the am .... and then 60mg in the evening before bed. Break through was every 2 - 4 hours 20 mg Norco. I thought you went over to the Fentynl patch??

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• No, it was making me too sleepy, so I switched to the ms-contin. This is better, although I'm still pretty tired. Right now I'm taking 30 mg 3x/day and 10 mg norco 3x a day as needed. Not really surprising that I'm kind of sleepy.
  • After seeing the second opinion PM Dr. he suggested to my Primary Dr. to change it to 60mg in the morning and 30 mg 8 hours after. Rarely I took the 4th dose and was on MS Contin until late January this year and switched to Oxycontin. I didn't get too tired as I tried not to take any break through meds. One bottle of 60 percocet for break through pain lasted for a whole year. I have to go next week for my refill of Oxycontin and see if she'll change me back to 3x day or get another break through.

HBMom did Fentanyl give you the same relief of pain?

I asked my Dr. if I could try it but she said the PM Dr. would have to prescribe it for me. As a family Dr. she doesn't have too much experience with Fentanyl and prefers I use a PM Dr to get that med.

I hope you get used to the side effects. TC. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yeah, I just bumped up from 45 mg/day to 90 mg/day and I'm soooo sleepy! I had to get my hubby to drive me somewhere tonight because I just didn't want to drive.

The fentanyl was better as far as pain mitigation went, but worse as far as side effects for me. I was extremely itchy and tired and very out of it, and a little bit agitated. The MS-con just has the sleepiness. With the 45 mg it lasted about a week and then seemed to pass.

My doctor is trying to get me active again, as I've given up a lot of activities in the last several months due to pain.
  • I take MS Contin 30mg 3x a day. I have been taking it since April. I try to time them at 6 hr intervals. When working, the midday one makes me too sleepy. That's usually when I take the b/t 7.5/500 Hydrocodone. I am rx'd it 3x's a day but rarely take it that often unless I am having a really bad day. So, I only have to refill either about 6 weeks or so. I hope the 90mg helps :)