Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
Hi Fellow Spineys,

I have to make an appointment with my GP regarding this, but I was just wondering:

Anyone develop a hernia due to their weak core muscles while recovering from surgery? My core was/has been weak before the surgery, then brace for 3 months, then still chronic pain from prior fusion making it difficult to do much strenghthening. Now I've noticed this protrusion in my upper belly (no pain) and think its a hernia.

Just another wonderful thing to have to deal with! Like I said, I am calling my Dr. for him to check me out, just wondering if any of you have had this; did you need surgery to repair it?

Thanks for any help,

• :H Hi Lisa

I just found out that I have a herniated bowel! :''( I had CT scans done and four hours later they call me and say I have this new problem. I see my doctor on the 13th. I am not looking forward to another surgery. My last one was in March of 2008. I have no idea where this hernia came from. I will keep you in my prayers my dear.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I have not heard of this happening but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope everything gets better.
  • I see my GP in another 2 weeks. The receptionist didn't seem to think there was much urgency for an appt (LOL). I don't have any pain, but it does kind of freak me out.

If I have to have surgery again, for this, I am going to scream!

Thanks again for the support,

• :H Thanks for posting. If either one of you learn anything about herniated bowels would you enlighten me?? I have been checking the internet but not getting much info on the subject. Hope you both have a really great day.

Evelyn :H
  • hope it is nothing for you to worry about! facing the unknown is always alittle scary. the best of luck to you! i hope there is no major problem. Jenny :)
  • :H Hi Jenny

So true, so true!! :H
  • I have an hernia, which showed up after a bad case of diverticulitis. The doc wasn't very helpful, so I don't know which one came first. I hadn't heard of a herniated bowel before. Where does it hurt? No surgery for me yet.---Mazy
  • :H It's in the lower right side of my stomach near the groin. I looked it up and it said it's a serious thing if it ruptures. :''( I have been having symptoms not long after my back surgery but I thought it was the side affects of the surgery. I have been doing alot of straining since that surgery and the website said that's one the things that cause hernaited bowels. I will know more on the 13th. Thanks for asking Mazy. :H

Evelyn :)
  • Mine is on the right, too! I think they call it an inguinal hernia? I think they can rupture or get incarcerated. I know since my bout of diverticulitis, I worry about ruptures and peritonitis. Geez, first neck/spine problems then hernia/colon problems for me. Yikes!! Keep me posted--Mazy
  • :H Thanks for answering! Yes, mine is an Inguinal Hernia as well! :O I see my family doctor Monday the 13th. I have a copy of the report and they put the scan film on a CD. How cool it that

I trying to stay positive about it which will help me to not worry and stay calm. Bowel and Colon problems are nothing to mess with. :H