Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery and Post PT

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I completed PT today .My therapist suggested continuing with a personal trainer at their gym which is adjacent to where I've had the PT.Is this a normal practice ?

• I think continuing to strengthen your core is a consistant recommendation.

I know at my 3 month follow up my surgeon told me to join a gym.

Working out with a trainer definately has some positives but I don't think it is an absolute.

You could purchase a Swiss ball and a mat and workout at home. The bosu is an absolute fabulous piece of equipment that strengthens your entire core at the same time and get amazing results.

Wishing you the very best!
  • The PT Clinic I used to work at as well as use, had a goal to get patients to a point where they could transition to independent work outs at the gym. So over the course of the treatment, the goal was established to guide and educate the patient towards being able to safely workout at the gym with no further need of PT guidance. Over an average 3 month period of time, the patient would start out having treatments at the clinic. Then they would move to the gym program where a PT tech then teaches each patient to use the gym specific to their physical condition and limitations.

• Has anyone done at home exercise after surgery and PT .My Chiropractor believes that too much PT and or gym exercises can cause additional back problems .
  • I used a combination of a home workout and the gym after I had completed PT following my back surgeries. Maintaining a core muscle strength is so important after spinal surgery. It really shouldn't matter where you exercise as long as your form is correct.

Both Self and Shape magazines have websites that you can use to help design a home exercise program.

Good luck! :)
  • I think the phrase of "too much of a good thing isn't necessarily good" has some merit. But, PT and then PT as directed by your therapist, should be okay. Over doing it yeah...I am sure that can move you into the negatives column! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • The way I read your original question MJ is that you are questioning the "practice" of the PT suggesting that you join an affiliated gym. I think this happens alot. My PT offers a training program in the same office. I think he charges $15 a session which includes a program that he designs for you and that uses the equipment in the office. Of course no stim or ultrasound and usually no heat or ice. I guess the benefit is that you have a PT "watching over" you and adjusting your program. He gets alot of kids who are seriously into sports who wouldn't be allowed in a regular gym.

If you like them and feel that you still need guidance in doing exercise then it might be a good idea. As far as how much exercise is appropriate you should talk to your doctor.