Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Two Level Fusion

StacyAnnSStacyAnn Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, its done. On Wednesday I had L4-5 redone and L5-S1 fused with instrumentation. Initially it didn't feel so bad but I am hurting today and HOME. No dural leaks or need for transfusion thid time.

I guess since I didn't get out of bed for almost 4 days last time, it really hurt getting out of bed yesterday. Today I came home and do not really want to get out of bed.

Will be taking it slowly. Doctor said he did alot in their and that I have the spine of a 70 year old. Lucky me.

• I bet you're happy to be home and the revision surgery behind you now. Good that you didn't have any complications this time.

Keep resting as much as you can, and when you're able to, let us know how you're going.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• Sounds like the surgery went well, and great that there weren't any complications.
    I hope that your recovery goes smoothly and that your pain levels will subside very soon.

Relax, and let your body heal from the surgery. Get plenty of rest and little walks often.

We'll be here waiting to hear how things are going. Isn't it great to be on this side of surgery? :-)
  • Well, I seem to have more pain in my left leg today than before surgery. I wonder if that has to do with all the work on the nerves the surgeon did on that side. I guess there would be more irritation before recovery. Anyone else experience this ster surgery?

• Hi Stacy

It's not unusual to still have leg pain after the surgery as the nerves settle down. As you said in your original post, your surgeon did a lot of work.

I was on Neurontin for several weeks after surgery and my leg pain was pretty much gone except for a terrible restlessness which lasted for a couple of months.

Are you on Lyrica or Neurontin? If not, you could ask your doctor for some.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • As I move around a bit more, I do find the pain along the nerve paths more intensely than before, which is really painful when you get up into the hip.

I will ask the doc about it this week when I go in for a checkup, ask about the Neurontin. I did take Lyrica a few years back and it worked well for pain but I ended up with elephant legs (mega swelling). So not sure if that option will be available.

I'll keep in touch. Thanks for all the kind words of support.