Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another question - diabetes

TraciTTraci Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's me again with another question. I am type 2 diabetic and right this minute my sugar control does not seem good. I was wondering if anyone has arrived at the hospital for the surgery and been sent home because their sugar was too high?
Traci
advertisement

Comments

• I'd be surprised if they sent you home. They may give you something to bring your BS to exceptable levels while your in the Hospital. I'm also a Type 2, recently diagnosed. I've been border line for many years and my body is just starting to lose the battle. You need to get your numbers under control. Uncontrolled Diabetes can contribute to complications with your upcoming fusion, i.e. non-union. I had a 2 level PLIF 3 years ago and I suspect that my Diabetes contributed to one of my levels not fusing all the way. It wasn't the entire cause but none the less, it didn't help.

Dave
  • Traci-

I'm sure you know(kind of posting for others who don't) that pain, emotional stress, and physical stress like surgery can raise your sugar. In fact, people should not be surprised if for at least 24-48 hours after lumbar fusion surgery that their sugars may be monitored(even if NOT diabetic) and be put on sliding scale insulin. Any kind of stress sends the body into protection mode which includes releasing/making available more fuel. However, that can lead to impaired wound healing, infection, and all sorts of crazy things so even if not diabetic surgeons might keep a tight control on sugars right after surgery. Like I said, you probably know that, just posting for others.

I don't know what you consider not so under control at this time, but if you've been given medical clearance for surgery, I'm GUESSING they'd just put you on maybe 4 hour accuchecks and sliding scale short acting insulin?? That's just a guess on my part, but unless you are in DKA, I think the doc would assume maybe a slightly greater number might be due to pain, anxiety, etc., all the things that happen when we hurt bad enough to need surgery.

Have you already had a preop physical and been cleared? I hope all goes as scheduled, please post what happens as far as what the OR says about your sugars. Good luck!
  • I have been told twice, by two different hospitals, that if the sugar level is over 200 they will not operate. This seemed to been from the hospitals rules and not the doctors, although they have final say in the matter. Its very strange that they won't operate on you if your sugar is high upon arrival, but they don't mind it being very high while your there. Most times they will not give you insulin during they surgery. I wear a insulin pump and have had many, many battles about this topic with various hospitals. I'm pretty sure the rules come from the anesthesiologist.