Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transverse S4 fracture/dislocation

CJMCCJM Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
Hi everyone,
I was hit by a truck while I was cycling about 6 weeks ago and sustained a couple of nasty injuries. One was a T12 fracture/dislocation which was fused (rods and screws, no bone graft) straight away, however the other major injury seems to be a bit more complicated: I also have a severely displaced (anteriorly) complete transverse fracture at S4.
The problem is, it seems to be such a rare fracture that no one that I have consulted with so far has seen it before. The accident happened in Namibia (where I had the T12 surgery) and I came home to New Zealand 2 weeks later to try and get some answers.
I have tried to research as much as possible on the internet, etc but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to whether surgery is the best option or taking a more conservative approach and just leaving it (given the risk if nerve damage in surgery). So has anyone else out there had this injury and what treatment did you get???

Thanks heaps!

• I believe there are a couple of members who have had coccyx surgery or are considering it. I know they have both done considerable research and may be able to give you a bit more perspective on fractures and dislocations in this area.

Welcome to Spine Health

Tammy aka TTLC http://www.spine-health.com/user/ttlc

also Littsurfer http://www.spine-health.com/user/littlesurfer
  • Hiya! Thanks heaps for getting in touch and for the links - I have now read through most of the posts I think. Trouble is my fracture is higher than the coccyx - actually up in the sacrum and the fracture goes right through one of the foramen where the nerves come out. That's where my concern lies - where are those nerves at now?? Weirdly, I don't seem to have a lot of pain, although it does come and go a lot.
    Will keep researching and hopefully someone out there might be able to shed a bit more light on it.
This discussion has been closed.