Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Dr. Referral in Columbus OH - Desperately

ComplicatedCComplicated Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
*Among many other things*

Sigh...there is not enough space herein, time available, or energy in me to post everything.

Bottom line: my body has degenerated to the point of the average 60-70 year old or beyond (specifically disc material); I've exhausted so many routes, medically speaking, and am still in complete misery; there is virtually no quality to my life and I spend the majority of my days and nights attempting to manage my pain and be functional and productive; I still try like hell (sorry), but have to admit I can no longer work and will have to consider a disability application.

The challenge is this: I have boycotted traditional treatments since a cervical surgery more than a decade ago and have sought coping avenues through alternative means, such as chiropractic, massage, accupuncture, yoga, and no drugs. Obviously, the social security office's process requires a "doctor who'll support my claim" and I don't have one. I am 41 and blessed, or cursed depending on how you look at it, by not looking "sick", so to speak. Numerous consults over the past 6-12 months have resulted in grand frustration. I've been basically shooed away, each time with some sort of prescription I didn't fill, from over half a dozen medical professionals. All of them allowed somewhere around 5 minutes to examine/talk with me, wrote a prescription and left the room with the canned comment which seems to be customary of 'call us if you have any questions' and on to the next patient (or golf game, or whatever) they went.

I have been unable to successfully illustrate what I am going through to anyone in the medical or civilian world; nobody gets it: nobody (yet).

I desperately need a referral to a medical professional interested, focused, and qualified to look at a patient's entire being, as opposed to "point where it hurts; here, take this".

• Have you ever considered seeing someone who is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? I did a quick search on the Internet and there are 240 D.O.'s listed for Columbus, Oh. From what you have described as the type of medical assistance you are seeking, it appears to align quite well with this type of medical philosophy. A couple of my pain management docs have been D.O.s and I really had great success with the way they treated me.

One thing that I found is that physicians really get frustrated when a patient comes to them asking for their help, only to ignore or dismiss the advised treatment. So if you are going to these docs and then never following through with their advise treatment plans, it's easy to see why they wouldn't be too motivated to spend too much time at each appointment. I don't know if that's what's happening in your case specifically, but it is quite possible based on what you wrote here.

Welcome to Spine Health

• Hi...i received excellent care at the University of Toledo Med center with Dr edited an Orthopedic doc/surgeon. His clinic is amazing. Hopefully this wont get edited because hes not a SH doc.

I dont think anyone here should make a judgement on you or your expericences with doctors. It took me almost 4 years to get the help and surgery that has reduced my pain and removed suicide from my thoughts.

I wish you much luck...dont give up....

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc Name of medical professional removed.
  • Great suggestion; thank you.

To clarify, the shunning has taken place on the initial visits: unbelievable in that you would think that would be the 'info gathering session'. I find it unacceptable for a Dr. to know a patient for less than 5 minutes total and simply prescribe meds and shoo them out the door.

Thanks again; I'll check into that.

I knew of that option, but have hesitated because, well, quite honestly, there are no funds and insurance is very limited for 'alternative' treatments.

But...I will dig further.
  • Hmmm. I didn't know about the editing thing and it was; 'the doctor name was removed'. Odd.

Anyway, thanks. I'll check into that too. Although, I have to say my main concern is the distance (2 hours give or take), because driving/riding is one of my biggest challenges.

• I know the driving thing is a big issue for me too, but I traveled from Detroit area to see him, about 2 hrs also. It wasnt easy believe me, but very very worth it. When I had proceedures or surgeries, we stayed overnight at local hotel. In fact there is a Hilton right on the campus of the University !
    If you would like the docs name,,send me a PM and perhaps I can share it with you without being edited. There are lots of restrictions here about using references (not in the spirit with "helping" members..my opinion=doesnt matter)
    Hang in there..I hope you find a solution soon.
  • Thank you Sweet Soprano. I think I may have found one in Columbus. However, I'll contact you, if that doesn't work out. Actually, I understand the site's concerns; most likely they are be advised by legal counsel concerned with the risk 'dishing out referrals' can create. I don't like it much either, but, 'tis the world we live in...
  • You are correct, "tis the world we live in". This site and forum belong to certain individuals. Like with any business, you don't want to let the competition into your own store front, nor open the door for frivolous law suits.. If you wish to pass names and info via PM, that's fine. It's just the open forums where it is a concern.