Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware removal

payoppayo Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am getting my hardware removed and I have a few questions. Right now I have very little mobility and a lot of pain. I would like to know if I get my hardware removed will I regain mobility and will the pain go away, and how soon will i see the results? If you have had hardware removed please let me know how you were doing before and after the surgery. I had 2 fusion surgeries L4/L5/S1.

• Has your doc done a hardware block to confirm that's generating your pain? Most everyone that has had their hardware removed, goes through a diagnostic hardware block to confirm it is a pain generator before surgery is scheduled.

Sorry to hear that you are having such a problem with pain and mobility. What has your surgeon said about it?

Someone will certainly be along soon to share with you their personal experience with hardware removal.

• Hi Payo' I had my hardware removed in december of this year, and yes i had hardware block before it was done. As you might already know, once you are fused, you are fused' Removing hardware will not give very much mobility back, it might just give some releif if its pressing against some nerves and muscles, or maybe screws are in too far and the might be hiting something. It has given me slight releif to back of my legs, but in my situation its the nerve damage that is an issue with my pain. Recovery was much easier from hardware removal then the fusion itself which is a good thing. Good luck and as haglandc said, you might want to have hardware block injection 1st to make sure its worth the surgery. Alexhurting
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Haglandc,I had the hardware block and the doctor said it was the hardware generationg the pain.

Alexhurting, When i got my hardware blocker done, I got 40% of my pain relieved, but that only lasted for a couple of days. Do you think something like that will happen when i get the hardware removed or something different?

Thank you guys for your answers and helping me out,